Possible BF Branding For Condor And Islander Problems

Ferries serving the Jersey, Guernsey, St Malo and the UK
nickgsy
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Post by nickgsy »

Possible BF branding for Condor and Condor Islander blamed for recent financial problems.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe ... y-68680622
khaines
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by khaines »

Found on Guernsey Press Facebook story this morning (not a link to FB by the way) Changes are possibly afoot.

https://guernseypress.com/news/2024/03/ ... n-new-era/
khaines
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by khaines »

This also spotted

Condor Ferries CEO blames difficulties on new ship https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe ... y-68680622
hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Post by hhvferry »

Related posts merged into this topic.
BenMyChree
Barfleur
Reactions:

Post by BenMyChree »

Why would they Operate Islander at weekends only?! That is absolutely ridiculous. Sell Goodwill and Operate Islander daily opposite Clipper, or sell Clipper and operate the Islander and Goodwill if they can't operate two ROPAX. 

To purchase a Vessel for weekends only sounds crazy. Surely this is a classic case of poor BBC journalism. And why would Barfleur be required next Winter? They have three conventional vessels. Next survey period should be a breeze. 
khaines
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by khaines »

I am interested in Liberation having BF livery - that would ruffle a few feathers.  Up until now my crystal ball (from way back in the days when she was newly built and sitting idle in Australia) was cloudy when I said she’d eventually be a BF ship.  Technically she is now, sort of, but seeing her in full BF livery will put that right!  Always said Barfleur would return when she was written off as a BF ship back in her Dover days, not managed to manifest Nova Star as a BF ship though - can’t have everything I suppose..😂
zuludelta
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Post by zuludelta »

"We've not taken a decision on that, it's still early days. We want to convince the islands that we are the solution and the brand will come as a secondary question - the answer for now is we will be putting forward these new schedules for a successful season."

The consensus approach to decision making is really showing here. 

All those years of BF dealing with Breton farmers is paying off...

hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Post by hhvferry »

BenMyChree wrote: 28 Mar 2024 10:05Why would they Operate Islander at weekends only?! That is absolutely ridiculous. Sell Goodwill and Operate Islander daily opposite Clipper, or sell Clipper and operate the Islander and Goodwill if they can't operate two ROPAX. 

To purchase a Vessel for weekends only sounds crazy. Surely this is a classic case of poor BBC journalism. And why would Barfleur be required next Winter? They have three conventional vessels. Next survey period should be a breeze. 
I'm not sure a dig a the BBC is needed, they've reported what was said factually.

However if Condor are going to underutilise a ship midweek then I wonder if some form of interworking with BF's main operations might be possible, at least during the winter.
BenMyChree
Barfleur
Reactions:

Post by BenMyChree »

hhvferry wrote: 28 Mar 2024 13:43
BenMyChree wrote: 28 Mar 2024 10:05 Why would they Operate Islander at weekends only?! That is absolutely ridiculous. Sell Goodwill and Operate Islander daily opposite Clipper, or sell Clipper and operate the Islander and Goodwill if they can't operate two ROPAX. 

I'm not sure a dig a the BBC is needed, they've reported what was said factually.

However if Condor are going to underutilise a ship midweek then I wonder if some form of interworking with BF's main operations might be possible, at least during the winter.

I don't think I've ever read a BBC report on Shipping that didn't contain some error. 

Would that be necessary? Are you suggesting Islander does what Liberation does in the Summer, over the Winter Period? Would that even be allowed? Would States of Guernsey be happy with a Ship they Invested in Sailing for Brittany Ferries? I'd highly doubt it. 
khaines
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by khaines »

Would Condor Voyager become Normandie Express again, Barf got her original name back
hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Post by hhvferry »

BenMyChree wrote: 28 Mar 2024 14:15
Would that be necessary? Are you suggesting Islander does what Liberation does in the Summer, over the Winter Period? Would that even be allowed? Would States of Guernsey be happy with a Ship they Invested in Sailing for Brittany Ferries? I'd highly doubt it. 
No but just flip them round, use Islander on the main sailings and Clipper on the secondary ones with midweek BF use.
nickgsy
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Post by nickgsy »

BenMyChree wrote: 28 Mar 2024 10:05
To restrict usage of Condor Islander to weekends only is terrible especially when it was only just recently purchased for £29m plus. Imagine if the Steam Packet suddenely decided to use Manxman - cost price at £78m for weekends only? This Condor Islander situation is laughable. Plus this vessel was made possible by Guernsey. Condor weren't quick enough at the time getting funding together hence why Guernsey stepped in with a helping hand. There was serious competition to secure this vessel. I hope BF are NOT going to use this vessel mid week anywhere else!!!

twbc99
Cotentin
Reactions:

Post by twbc99 »

I thought the Islander was brought to provide 2 daily sailings to Portsmouth for passengers. 

The idea about merging the brands I think is a good idea as the Liberation has been used interchangeably over the last few Summers and maybe we could see the same with Barfleur/Clipper/Islander doing something similar?
nickgsy
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Post by nickgsy »

twbc99 wrote: 28 Mar 2024 18:23 I thought the Islander was brought to provide 2 daily sailings to Portsmouth for passengers. 

Yes it was. Looks like all going to pot except Saturdays and Sundays.
khaines
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by khaines »

I’ll be glad to see the back of that triangular service Lib was doing, much rather she does what she was intended for.  
PatriaS
Cotentin
Reactions:

Post by PatriaS »

nickgsy wrote: 28 Mar 2024 16:49
To restrict usage of Condor Islander to weekends only is terrible especially when it was only just recently purchased for £29m plus. Imagine if the Steam Packet suddenely decided to use Manxman - cost price at £78m for weekends only? This Condor Islander situation is laughable. Plus this vessel was made possible by Guernsey. Condor weren't quick enough at the time getting funding together hence why Guernsey stepped in with a helping hand. There was serious competition to secure this vessel. I hope BF are NOT going to use this vessel mid week anywhere else!!!

However admirable Condor's ambitions, it seems clear something has gone wrong here.  Sounds like BF have plans for the Islander for part of the week.
nickgsy
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Post by nickgsy »

PatriaS wrote: 29 Mar 2024 01:20
However admirable Condor's ambitions, it seems clear something has gone wrong here.  Sounds like BF have plans for the Islander for part of the week.
I think having both Condor Islander and Commodore Goodwill often depart on the same evening overnight to the islands on certain evenings from Portsmouth must have hammered them financially. I guess on days they operated at near parallel times, Goodwill was full with freight and Islander hardly carried anything, just a token number of trailers and if my experience a few weeks back is anything to go by 20 òdd cars and 53 passengers! Also freight hauliers here in Guernsey I think were not keen on staggered non consistent times for freight arriving. I think it altered the logistics too much for delivery to island businesses. But something surely could be done to make a passenger overnight service work. It's such a shame. I've used it twice already. Condor staff when I travelled on Islander earlier this month were so proud of their new vessel- the a la carte restaurant was popular, dog cabins were popular I was told and the double bed cabin suite was a novelty and held as an example of the superior facilities onboard.

Perhaps the cabins are too expensive. Perhaps Ropax is unfortunately right and fast travel only works? Perhaos constant weather related cancellations put people off? At least it will still operate weekends. For this year at least.
tumnus2010
Bretagne
Reactions:

Post by tumnus2010 »

If she is available in the week and BF did decide to use Islander then where? Perhaps a day out and overnight return from St Malo during peak season? Or some returns to Cherbourg in place of the Liberation?

khaines
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by khaines »

All was fine a few years ago before they started moving the furniture around and putting Lib on a triangular route. 
PatriaS
Cotentin
Reactions:

Post by PatriaS »

nickgsy wrote: 29 Mar 2024 06:21
I think having both Condor Islander and Commodore Goodwill often depart on the same evening overnight to the islands on certain evenings from Portsmouth must have hammered them financially. I guess on days they operated at near parallel times, Goodwill was full with freight and Islander hardly carried anything, just a token number of trailers and if my experience a few weeks back is anything to go by 20 òdd cars and 53 passengers! Also freight hauliers here in Guernsey I think were not keen on staggered non consistent times for freight arriving. I think it altered the logistics too much for delivery to island businesses. But something surely could be done to make a passenger overnight service work. It's such a shame. I've used it twice already. Condor staff when I travelled on Islander earlier this month were so proud of their new vessel- the a la carte restaurant was popular, dog cabins were popular I was told and the double bed cabin suite was a novelty and held as an example of the superior facilities onboard.

Perhaps the cabins are too expensive. Perhaps Ropax is unfortunately right and fast travel only works? Perhaos constant weather related cancellations put people off? At least it will still operate weekends. For this year at least.

I am guessing that dangerous goods capacity is essential for the Islands but I wonder could they not have been running Islander freight only on some departures.  Or is there a 7 day a week essential requirement for DGs?  If so - the whole plan was doomed from the start as there is no way you can make that work. There simply isn't the passenger demand for enough days of the year. I am assuming the business plan made sense somehow but looking in now it seems hard to see.
baypaul
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by baypaul »

PatriaS wrote: 29 Mar 2024 10:57
nickgsy wrote: 29 Mar 2024 06:21

I am guessing that dangerous goods capacity is essential for the Islands but I wonder could they not have been running Islander freight only on some departures.  Or is there a 7 day a week essential requirement for DGs?  If so - the whole plan was doomed from the start as there is no way you can make that work. There simply isn't the passenger demand for enough days of the year. I am assuming the business plan made sense somehow but looking in now it seems hard to see.
The Isle of Man doesn't seem to need a dedicated freight vessel.  I would have thought that retiring the Goodwill, and running twice-daily sailings on the Islander and Clipper, with one or two of the daylight sailings each way being restricted passenger numbers would have been completely adequate. I can't quite imagine why they didn't do this!  I guess it is possible that freight figures are high enough that there is or will be a need for a 3rd ship, but in that case, why not run it!
Jojo68
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Post by Jojo68 »

I have looked at the online timetable for various dates in the coming months, and it seems both ferries are used regularly (with 1 or 2 days off each week which doesn't seem abnormal) with Clipper departing Portsmouth in the morning and Islander in the evening ; and Liberation also doing a round trip most days.
BenMyChree
Barfleur
Reactions:

Post by BenMyChree »

Jojo68 wrote: 29 Mar 2024 12:34 I have looked at the online timetable for various dates in the coming months, and it seems both ferries are used regularly (with 1 or 2 days off each week which doesn't seem abnormal) with Clipper departing Portsmouth in the morning and Islander in the evening ; and Liberation also doing a round trip most days.

Brittany Ferries Economics aren't the most sound, are they? This is the Company that would have failed decades ago without the support of the French Regions. 

Strangely, Condor were better under Macquarie!
Condor Ferries should have sold the Goodwill, or Chartered her out. They should run Clipper and Islander as now. If there are no Customs Staff in Guernsey for an early arrival, unfortunately that Sailing could not be open to PAX. But it could still have carried PAX to Jersey, and vice versa. An overnight PAX only Service using Islander is, of course, doomed to failure! 

I've often wondered, why is it not  possible for Liberation to Operate Poole - St Malo via Guernsey and Jersey and return with Voyager doing St Malo - Poole via Jersey and Guernsey and Return? Does it cut down St Malo to CI too much? 
nickgsy
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Post by nickgsy »

BenMyChree wrote: 29 Mar 2024 15:24
Jojo68 wrote: 29 Mar 2024 12:34  
Brittany Ferries Economics aren't the most sound, are they? This is the Company that would have failed decades ago without the support of 
Brittany Ferries' finances must be much better now. They've just loaned £10m to Condor to pay for outstanding port fees! See BBC story below..

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-guernsey-68680622
nickgsy
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Post by nickgsy »

According to Guernsey Press today Condor Islander will be replacing Clipper on her roster! Permanently. Clipper will sail 3 days a week only. Big interview with BF CEO in Gsy Press today. BF CEO is also open to owning 100 per cent of Condor. Exciting tines ahead!