Bretagne

Information about the Brittany Ferries Fleet past, present and future
colinb
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Bretagne

Post by colinb »

The tug travelled across from Falmouth, how much did that cost?  Obviously not practical on a regular basis.
Just a precaution for the initial trial I would imagine.

Might be a fair weather port as far as Bretagne is concerned though. I wonder why the trial took place given that it looks like Bretagne will be leaving the fleet this year.

I wouldn't have thought that using such a comparatively large vessel on the Channel Islands service would be economic anyway.
nickgsy
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Bretagne

Post by nickgsy »

colinb wrote: 28 May 2024 17:40
The tug travelled across from Falmouth, how much did that cost?  Obviously not practical on a regular basis.
Just a precaution for the initial trial I would imagine.

Might be a fair weather port as far as Bretagne is concerned though. I wonder why the trial took place given that it looks like Bretagne will be leaving the fleet this year.

I wouldn't have thought that using such a comparatively large vessel on the Channel Islands service would be economic anyway.
It would be economic to use Bretagne if it weren't for the fact that 90 per cent of pax traffic to Channel Islands uses a capacity 880 pax fast ferry to get here! i.e. Condor Liberation. Get rid of Liberation and Bretagne would br jam packed with passengers. Not saying it will happen. Just if.
Last edited by nickgsy on 28 May 2024 18:10, edited 1 time in total.
colinb
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Bretagne

Post by colinb »

I was under the impression that most visitors travel to the CI by air.
nickgsy
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Bretagne

Post by nickgsy »

colinb wrote: 28 May 2024 18:10 I was under the impression that most visitors travel to the CI by air.
They do  But around 20 to 25 per cent don't. Still a lot of people who use ferries as CI travel market is big with lots of finance related business travel, (air travel), tourist travel and locals travelling. 170,000  people live on these islands.

Plus when we had BCIFs Rozel ferry coming here it was bigger than most BF ferries at the time! Excepting Bretagne and Duc du Normandie of course.
colin
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Bretagne

Post by colin »

Having spoken with the Commandant, the tug was there "in case". There was a fair wind blowing, 15-20 knots, so a valid test. No unusual or unexpected problems. He is used to berthing small sailing boats in St Helier, so took it in his stride ...
BFMunchkin
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Bretagne

Post by BFMunchkin »

Bretagne performed Berthing Trials in Guernsey today!

Pics from Facebook:

447815627_10162496134510864_421159746251120173_n.jpg

447492056_10229601961865228_5377889705227313819_n.jpg
SilverDot
Bretagne
Reactions:

Bretagne

Post by SilverDot »

Yes very happy that Brittany Ferries Bretagne trial in Guernsey St Peter port went very well it fits nicely as no problems on the links ban either.

Bretagne St Peter Port, Guernsey 4 June 2024.
Bretagne St Peter Port, Guernsey 4 June 2024.

Bretagne Berthed Guernsey 4 June 2024.
Bretagne Berthed Guernsey 4 June 2024.

Bretagne Alongside Guernsey 4 June 2024.
Bretagne Alongside Guernsey 4 June 2024.
LeQuiberon
Barfleur
Reactions:

Bretagne

Post by LeQuiberon »

Surely BF wouldn't be going to all this trouble and costs if they weren't seriously considering using her as ona  regular service to the Channel Islands.

Does anyone else agree?

opingebr
Barfleur
Reactions:

Bretagne

Post by opingebr »

Isn't it pretty common to overhaul a ship before it's sold? :P
vikingvoyager
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Bretagne

Post by vikingvoyager »

LeQuiberon wrote: 05 Jun 2024 00:01 Surely BF wouldn't be going to all this trouble and costs if they weren't seriously considering using her as ona  regular service to the Channel Islands.

Does anyone else agree?

It's been mentioned by others that she can fit these trials in relatively easily with her schedule.

It's also noted that BF appear to have recognized the power of propaganda - actual, physical ships doing stuff in the CI may well trump slick presentations and as-yet unordered fast craft from DFDS.  
northsaul
Cotentin
Reactions:

Bretagne

Post by northsaul »

DFDS already have one fast craft they could use, the Levante Jet is sitting about doing very little
zinedinebiscan
Barfleur
Reactions:

Bretagne

Post by zinedinebiscan »

For any fan of Bretagne who are able to get onboard her before she finishes the St Malo route, there are retro style prints of her sailing out of Portsmouth and St Malo available on board for £20 a pop.  The prints are also available on mugs, tote bags and water bottles!  

If you get the daytime crossing you can also get them signed by the deputy Commandant mid afternoon, although when I saw him he was just sat bored outside the duty free waiting for punters to buy something, so suspect you'd be able to have a good chat to him.

Bournemouthlad
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Bretagne

Post by Bournemouthlad »

Would definitely be interested in buying those, gonna try to travel on Bretagne one last time
rhyspenlan
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Bretagne

Post by rhyspenlan »

I have a crossing booked in October, will be a sad trip

Only going out on her though, that St Malo Portsmouth run takes for ever and the discharge crew in Plymouth run a far more slick operation.

Rhys
crechbleiz
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Bretagne

Post by crechbleiz »

We were on Bretagne last Sunday for the St Malo - Ports crossing. Commodore cabin was spotless, just disappointed with the sewer whiff lingering on deck 6. Lunch in Les Abers with the 2 buffets and no mains. Sunny weather and calm seas. Perfect for a good rest after a wedding reception the previous night. The bonus was to have a surprise catch up with Kittifer on the bow deck.

The only real downside of the crossing was the delayed arrival and very slow unloading in Portsmouth despite being on deck 4. There's always an excuse given in Portsmouth eg port movements, port ops etc.. And yet I've never seen so many marshalls in high Vis vests as in Portsmouth. As Rhys said, Plymouth port got their act together now.

Got a couple of the said posters from the shop including a St Malo version signed by the Commandant. Got one from Roscoff with Armorique and another one listing prominent members of the fleet past and present, Inc Bretagne with the Z Stripes. Fathers day gift sorted 

SimonP
Barfleur
Reactions:

Bretagne

Post by SimonP »

zinedinebiscan wrote: 06 Jun 2024 15:13 For any fan of Bretagne who are able to get onboard her before she finishes the St Malo route, there are retro style prints of her sailing out of Portsmouth and St Malo available on board for £20 a pop.  The prints are also available on mugs, tote bags and water bottles!  

If you get the daytime crossing you can also get them signed by the deputy Commandant mid afternoon, although when I saw him he was just sat bored outside the duty free waiting for punters to buy something, so suspect you'd be able to have a good chat to him.

I have some of these, my favourite is the fleet list. I had the last one when I was onboard, but I'm sure they've been replenished. I'd add a photo here if I knew how!
kittifer
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Bretagne

Post by kittifer »

crechbleiz wrote: 06 Jun 2024 21:45 We were on Bretagne last Sunday for the St Malo - Ports crossing. Commodore cabin was spotless, just disappointed with the sewer whiff lingering on deck 6. Lunch in Les Abers with the 2 buffets and no mains. Sunny weather and calm seas. Perfect for a good rest after a wedding reception the previous night. The bonus was to have a surprise catch up with Kittifer on the bow deck.

The only real downside of the crossing was the delayed arrival and very slow unloading in Portsmouth despite being on deck 4. There's always an excuse given in Portsmouth eg port movements, port ops etc.. And yet I've never seen so many marshalls in high Vis vests as in Portsmouth. As Rhys said, Plymouth port got their act together now.

Got a couple of the said posters from the shop including a St Malo version signed by the Commandant. Got one from Roscoff with Armorique and another one listing prominent members of the fleet past and present, Inc Bretagne with the Z Stripes. Fathers day gift sorted 

It was such a nice surprise to bump into you on the bow 🙂 What an iconic meeting place really when you think of it. Yes it was a beautiful crossing. I did not have priority disembarkation but I ended up in the first or second line of cars on Deck 3 to roll out, so I cleared passport control at Portsmouth very quickly after arrival. One thing I have noticed, British border force officials tend to me more prone to endless rambling conversations, even after passports have been checked, which is not appropriate when there are hundreds of cars waiting to get through. People need to get home. It's nice to chat, but there's a time and a place for it and they really need to be more efficiency minded to reduce those queues.

Anyway back to Bretagne, I loved travelling on her. I had a cabin up on Deck 8, forward facing, which I had not had before. It was great. I could be mistaken, but I also noticed she had a slight list to starboard almost the entire journey. Was it a one-off to loading in the car deck perhaps?
nickgsy
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Bretagne

Post by nickgsy »

LeQuiberon wrote: 05 Jun 2024 00:01 Surely BF wouldn't be going to all this trouble and costs if they weren't seriously considering using her as ona  regular service to the Channel Islands.

Does anyone else agree?
There's no way Bretagne will be doing regular service to CI. BF chose a day with optimal weather conditions for entering the berth at St Peter Port. In the winter the much snaller Islander and Clipper are often cancelled as they can't safely enter the tight confines of St Peter Port and St Helier ports. At best she'll be used as a back up vessel.

It's a shame as she is a great vessel.
colin
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Bretagne

Post by colin »

They didn't "choose a day with optimal weather conditions". It just happens that the weather was good on the one day per week she could do these trials. Weather in St Helier was much more challenging.

Bretagne is pretty nifty on her thrusters compared to many other ships. Berthing in St Malo is pretty exposed and requires skill and grunt.