Former Ferries To Norway

Ferry memories
DanielH
Cotentin
Reactions:

Former Ferries To Norway

Post by DanielH »

Dear all,

I am trying to get some overview of ferry routes to Norway in the 1970s and 1980s, thus prior to the formation of Color Line. Is there any source on the web concerning the route network especially of Fred. Olsen Lines which to me seems to be extremely large and variable? Are there maybe even scanned timetable brochures available anywhere?
Risberg
Bretagne
Reactions:

Former Ferries To Norway

Post by Risberg »

DanielH wrote: 15 May 2024 12:29 Dear all,

I am trying to get some overview of ferry routes to Norway in the 1970s and 1980s, thus prior to the formation of Color Line. Is there any source on the web concerning the route network especially of Fred. Olsen Lines which to me seems to be extremely large and variable? Are there maybe even scanned timetable brochures available anywhere?
Can't help you much, just confirm that Fred. Olen ran services Kristiansand – Hirtshals, Bergen – Hirtshals and Oslo – Hirtshals, and in the summers Arendal – Hirtshals, Kristiansand – Hanstholm and Arendal – Hanstholm. Several ferry companies tried to maintain the Bergen - Newcastle service; BDS (with a ship that Fred. Olsen used for cruises in the winter), Norway Lines, DFDS (that was maybe after the 80s). Smyril Line had a line Tórshavn - Lerwick - Bergen - Lerwick - Tórshavn - Seyðisfjörður - Tórshavn - Hanstholm - Tórshavn. Scandi Line ran the Sandefjord - Strömstad service, Jahre Line the Oslo - Kiel service. There was also a Oslo - Frederikshavn service with the ferry HOLGER DANSKE (but that may have been before the 70's). Try the web-site "Fakta om Fartyg" (in Swedish), and look for the ship companies Kristiansand Dampskibsselskab, Fred. Olsen Lines, DFDS, Jahre Line, Norway Line, Smyril Line, Scandi Line and ships like HOLGER DANSKE. Sorry, I couldn't help you more.

Author of "Fra LILLEBELT to SKÅNE" about train ferries and other railway owned ships in Scandinavia and the Baltic, in Scandinavian with English summaries. Free pdf-version by contacting me on "Private messages"
hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Former Ferries To Norway

Post by hhvferry »

Not on the web and not free but Ferry Pub's Color Line – and the development of Norwegian international ferry services since 1825 covers in detail all the ferry companies which ended up being part of Color Line.

If you click on Preview Book in the following link it gives an indication of some of the historic content -

https://www.ferrypubs.co.uk/product/color-line/
nickgsy
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Fromer Ferries to Norway

Post by nickgsy »

Risberg wrote: 15 May 2024 13:22

Can't help you much, just confirm that Fred. Olen ran services Kristiansand – Hirtshals, Bergen – Hirtshals and Oslo – Hirtshals, and in the summers Arendal – Hirtshals, Kristiansand – Hanstholm and Arendal – Hanstholm. Several ferry companies tried to maintain the Bergen - Newcastle service; BDS (with a ship that Fred. Olsen used for cruises in the winter), Norway Lines, DFDS (that was maybe after the 80s

DFDS ran Newcastle to Norway services from about 1992 to 1984 and then again in late 90s and 00s. I had a copy of the DFDS 1983 timetable that branded these Norway services as Fred Olsen Bergen Line - those companies owned Venus and Jupiter but DFDS operated them for those years. 

Back in 1983 DFDS had a branding policy to keep trading names of companies they took over  i.e. DFDS Prins Ferries to Germany and DFDS Tor Line passenger brand (not just freight) for Sweden.
Risberg
Bretagne
Reactions:

Former Ferries To Norway

Post by Risberg »

hhvferry wrote: 15 May 2024 13:43 Not on the web and not free but Ferry Pub's Color Line – and the development of Norwegian international ferry services since 1825 covers in detail all the ferry companies which ended up being part of Color Line.

If you click on Preview Book in the following link it gives an indication of some of the historic content -

That, however, was only Fred. Olsen Lines, Jahre Line and Scandi Line.
Author of "Fra LILLEBELT to SKÅNE" about train ferries and other railway owned ships in Scandinavia and the Baltic, in Scandinavian with English summaries. Free pdf-version by contacting me on "Private messages"
hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Former Ferries To Norway

Post by hhvferry »

Risberg wrote: 15 May 2024 13:50
hhvferry wrote: 15 May 2024 13:43 Not on the web and not free but Ferry Pub's Color Line – and the development of Norwegian international ferry services since 1825 covers in detail all the ferry companies which ended up being part of Color Line.

It also covers KDS, Norway Line, Bergen's international operations and Da No Line, but yes I don't think it covers eg Smyril.
Ollyhuk
Cotentin
Reactions:

Former Ferries To Norway

Post by Ollyhuk »

Fred Olsen did use the Braemar (now Regina Baltica) for several years on Harwich-Norway services before concentrating on Newcastle in the run up to the formation of Color Line.
Risberg
Bretagne
Reactions:

Former Ferries To Norway

Post by Risberg »

hhvferry wrote: 15 May 2024 14:06
Risberg wrote: 15 May 2024 13:50

It also covers KDS, Norway Line, Bergen's international operations and Da No Line, but yes I don't think it covers eg Smyril.
Yes, of course, Fred. Olsen Lines took over KDS, but Da No Line, did Color Line take over that one?!? I'd think it hardly covers DFDS either.

DanielH
Cotentin
Reactions:

Former Ferries To Norway

Post by DanielH »

I did not know that website. This is very interesting. Thank you!
DanielH
Cotentin
Reactions:

Former Ferries To Norway

Post by DanielH »

Follow up: How relieable is this onlineshop? I would think about ordering that book...
munstertillburgundy
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Former Ferries To Norway

Post by munstertillburgundy »

DanielH wrote: 15 May 2024 21:32 Follow up: How relieable is this onlineshop? I would think about ordering that book...
As safe as ALDI potato-salad. 🙈

hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Former Ferries To Norway

Post by hhvferry »

DanielH wrote: 15 May 2024 21:32 Follow up: How relieable is this onlineshop? I would think about ordering that book...
I can vouch for them personally, they are the real deal.

(Full disclosure: I provided some images for that book and proof read it before publication).
tregastel
Cotentin
Reactions:

Former Ferries To Norway

Post by tregastel »

I think I've got some stuff from 1983 (timetable/ brochure etc) - I'll see if I can find it.
tregastel
Cotentin
Reactions:

Former Ferries To Norway

Post by tregastel »

I have a brochure from 1983 with Timetables for Newcastle-Stavanger-Bergen, and Newcastle-Oslo (although that service was actually withdrawn before the summer season and has never been reinstated).

I've scanned a few pages in 'pdf' format, but can't work-out how to share them on here!
ExpressOlympia
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Former Ferries To Norway

Post by ExpressOlympia »

Ferry Publications also stock North Sea Bridges, by the Finnish author Kalle Id, which has extensive histories of the ferry services to each of the Nordic countries, including Norway, from the UK. I would recommend this as an authoritative and very well illustrated work.

In full transparency, I do know Miles, the owner of Ferry Publications, personally… I have highlighted to him of the recent concerns raised about the security of their websites and he tells me he has had this investigated. If in any doubt, however, there is also a phone number and email address.
tregastel
Cotentin
Reactions:

Former Ferries To Norway

Post by tregastel »

tregastel
Cotentin
Reactions:

Former Ferries To Norway

Post by tregastel »

DanielH
Cotentin
Reactions:

Former Ferries To Norway

Post by DanielH »

Thanks for the effort - however, I cannot see any pictures.
tregastel
Cotentin
Reactions:

Former Ferries To Norway

Post by tregastel »

I'm sorry - just can't get the image to load in an acceptable format.

If you are happy to provide an email address, I'll send them privately.