New Isles Of Scilly Ferries

Anything around the UK & Ireland not in the sea areas above
SilverDot
Bretagne
Reactions:

Post by SilverDot »

Isles of Scilly Steamship Group have chosen Piriou based in Penzance's twin town Concarneau, France, as its preferred shipbuilder to build and deliver two new vessels for the Group. The shipyard will start detailed design work on Scillonian IV passenger ferry and an unnamed cargo ferry to replace the current Gry Maritha.

Isles of Scilly Steamship Group New Ferries Scillonian IV & Gry Maritha Replacement. Image: IOSG / Piriou.
Isles of Scilly Steamship Group New Ferries Scillonian IV & Gry Maritha Replacement. Image: IOSG / Piriou.

No specifications have been released apart from the replacement for Gry Maritha will have space for 12 passengers in the winter season.

Once the design is completed the new vessels will be built in Piriou's shipyard in Vietnam starting spring 2024 for completion ready for 2026 season. The new vessels are mainly privately financed with a contribution of £48m from levelling up funding as part of National Shipbuilding Strategy.
SilverDot
Bretagne
Reactions:

Post by SilverDot »

To add to the interest, Harland & Wolff have also announced plans to build and operate two ferries for the Isles of Scilly as well as one inter island ferry which will be ready for the 2025 season, one year ahead of the new IOSG ferries. The company have been working on designs for the past three years in conjunction with the local councils and government, now applying for levelling up fund money for building.

Harland & Wolff Proposed Ferries For Isles of Scilly. Image: Harland & Wolff.
Harland & Wolff Proposed Ferries For Isles of Scilly. Image: Harland & Wolff.

Harland & Wolff are looking for a licence to operate for 5 years with a extension option for another 5 years to foster competition for construction and ferry operation for the Isles of Scilly. John Wood, CEO, Harland & Wolff Group “This is a fantastic opportunity and we believe competition on this route is the right thing to ensure value for money for the residents and tourists of the islands.”

Scillonian III, which is operated by the Isles of Scilly Steamship Company, was built at Harland & Wolff Appledore, and Appledore will have a role in constructing the new ferries too. 
ryanh
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by ryanh »

Well, just taking both at face value, I think the Harland & Wolff proposal sounds better. Presumably their vessels would also be UK-built? 
vikingvoyager
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Post by vikingvoyager »

Is there no ro-ro facility for the Scilly's?
ryanh
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by ryanh »

vikingvoyager wrote: 14 Sep 2023 09:38 Is there no ro-ro facility for the Scilly's?
No, only residents vehicles & freight are allowed on the Islands and I believe these are craned on and off the vessels. When we sailed on Scillonian back in 2014, they had a good system for luggage - you simply left it labelled up on the quayside, and it arrived at the holiday cottage waiting for you when you arrived. Outbound to St. Mary's, obviously.

vikingvoyager
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Post by vikingvoyager »

ryanh wrote: 14 Sep 2023 09:50
vikingvoyager wrote: 14 Sep 2023 09:38 Is there no ro-ro facility for the Scilly's?
No, only residents vehicles & freight are allowed on the Islands and I believe these are craned on and off the vessels. When we sailed on Scillonian back in 2014, they had a good system for luggage - you simply left it labelled up on the quayside, and it arrived at the holiday cottage waiting for you when you arrived. Outbound to St. Mary's, obviously.

It was this section on Wikipedia that caught my eye:

Most notably, Gry Maritha carries all the fuel requirements of the Isles of Scilly, using transportable fuel tanks on her deck. These are loaded and unloaded by the deck crane. Towards the stern, the deck can accept standard freight containers

I guess I just found it surprising that the neither vessel adopted rolling containers or fuel tanks given that it's not an overly long crossing (e.g. loading time to crossing time ratio). 

I wonder how many Scillonians bring their cars to the mainland? Not many, I guess.
colinb
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Post by colinb »

Would the route support four vessels? And where would the additional ones berth overnight?
SilverDot
Bretagne
Reactions:

Post by SilverDot »

colinb wrote: 14 Sep 2023 12:28 Would the route support four vessels? And where would the additional ones berth overnight?
Is it a play to get work and keep it in the UK rather than serious intent?

Design work done according to H&W and ready to start construction with delivery a year earlier than IoS Steamship Company's proposal. Government handing out grant money, boxes ticked?
fiobhaniar
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Post by fiobhaniar »

ryanh wrote: 14 Sep 2023 09:50

That's interesting. How often do vehicles need transported? CalMac serve a few islands with similar rules, but they still use ro-ro vessels for it - but I guess they probably carry essential vehicles more often. It's definitely not a redeployment thing, as Lochnevis (and Loch Buie to a certain extent) were purpose built for their routes and are unlikely to serve elsewhere.
ropax
Bretagne
Reactions:

Post by ropax »

There are now 2 competing companies operating to Isles of Scilly, a booming destination for tourists(-bus-groups).

Harland and Wolff has bought an own Catamaran and want to start operation SCILLY FERRIES from May 2024:
Trips takes 90min only, 400 pax capacity, 2 daily round-trips.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-67800783

And the actually there operating company ISSC wants to order 2 new-building-ferries for delivery in 2026 from the yard Piriou.
The actually very old boat Scillionian III needs 2:45 hours for the trip and want to start from march. 

Interesting if now 1 new operator with fast (smaller) Catamarans starts his business.
hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Post by hhvferry »

ropax wrote: 19 Jan 2024 21:49 There are now 2 competing companies operating to Isles of Scilly, a booming destination for tourists(-bus-groups).
Please provide a source for the claim that tourism to the Scillies is "booming".

I'd love even more to see one for the claim that it's something, anything to do with bus groups (it isn't).
ropax
Bretagne
Reactions:

Post by ropax »

add the word "future" in my post please... 😄
solo
Cotentin
Reactions:

Post by solo »

Ropax do you know anything about the Isles of Scilly?  They are a very small group of islands that cannot accommodate thousands of tourist. You talk about bus groups again, I think you must have shares in a bus company, bus tours in this country are mainly elderly people and I can't see them taking a fast ferry 20miles out into the North Atlantic, yes the Scillies are in the North Atlantic.
Isles of Scilly steamship company have now signed the contracts for their new ships, the offer of government grants has now gone, will Harland and Wolf still be interested with no government money on offer.
Looking from the outside it looks as if H&W thought they could get the Government money another way having lost out in the original tendering.  The steamship company are not looked on favourably by a lot on the islands but at the moment I think they're the only show in town for now.
ancientdad
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Post by ancientdad »

For those who have not experienced a sea crossing to the Scilly Isles, the harbour at St Marys ( the only 'port') is small as is Penzance harbour. It would be difficult to get a vessel much larger than Scillonian III alongside the quay in both locations. There is no significant need for cars as most of the islands are small and it is easy to walk  across most of them; have a look at 'Google Earth' or similar and you will see what is there. I think there is one coach on St Marys but most islands cannot accommodate such vehicles as the roads are narrow and ( I think ) still unpaved. there may be the odd van or two but most transport is by tractor. I will not say how they transport large loads to the outer islands but it is interesting to watch.
Neither port has room for any form of permanent ro-ro facility but a vessel similar to the Calmac 'small isles' ferry MIGHT be able to operate, BUT, I doubt if it would be large enough to cope with traffic demands.
It is not a short journey from Penzance to St Marys, the harbour by the way is in Hugh Town, and I would suspect to be classed as 'hazardous' at night owning to the amount of rocks and reefs throughout the islands. Have a look at charts with wrecks marked and you may comprehend the problems.
On top of all those constraints, the vessels have to be suitable for the Atlantic swell plus the tidal confluence on the ebb where to English Channel and Bristol Channel flows merge between Lands End and the Scillies.
The islands really are lovely, a bit choked with tourists these days, but the climate is warm enough for very early spring flowers and vegetables.
Seacat
Cotentin
Reactions:

Post by Seacat »

Scilly Ferries have announced the name of their new ferry "Atlantic Wolff" however somethings not quite right.

Their website says Atlantic Wolff was designed and built by Daman in 2018.  The vessel pictured on their webiste is photoshopped image of the "Aremiti 5" built by Austal in 2004.

Does anyone know what vessel they have actually aquired?

https://www.austal.com/sites/default/fi ... remiti.pdf

https://www.ship-technology.com/project ... i/?cf-view

jack
Barfleur
Reactions:

Post by jack »

IMG_1702.jpeg

None of it makes sense, the MD of H and W says in his news letter that the boat was being readying for passage to Belfast from Tahiti but it’s alongside in Spain. One of the crewing agencies was advertising for a Master and C/Off starting this month till October.
colinb
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Post by colinb »

Not sure that a catamaran would be suitable for such a rough route.
Seacat
Cotentin
Reactions:

Post by Seacat »

@jack Thank you for finding the actual ferry.  Strangely the Aremiti 5 is in Tahiti.  Have they picked the wrong ship!

@colinb It is a bit small.  Not sure Id fancy a crossing on it.

jack
Barfleur
Reactions:

Post by jack »

Don’t think I’d want to go on it, going to cost the company a lot of money when all the day trippers can’t get back because the weathers changed, can carry 400 passengers. Think the Condor Voyager would struggle a lot of the time
Seacat
Cotentin
Reactions:

Post by Seacat »

Here is the link to Marine Traffic if anyone wants to follow her voyage from Spain to Belfast.  I hope the seasick green dolphin is coming too!

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/de ... NTIC_WOLFF

martupls
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by martupls »

They bought the former Aquabus Jet 1 from Damen that was chartered to Aquabus for the Ibiza - Formentera route. She and her sister the Aquabus Jet 2 were a complete failure for Aquabus, with lots of technical problems, they spent most of the time moored or being repaired at the Burriana shipyard, to the point that Aquabus last summer had to charter the Eco Aqua from Balearia because they didn't have none of the ships avaiable.
Seacat
Cotentin
Reactions:

Post by Seacat »

Atlantic Wolff is now out of the water at Trafalgar Shipyard, Portsmouth.

Only 20 days to go till the first sailing. The website still shws the wrong ferry.

JohnMc
Cotentin
Reactions:

Post by JohnMc »

Out bound to the Isles of Scilly can be very bouncy indeed because of the Atlantic swell in my experience, strikes me as a wholly unsuitable kind of vessel for this route; I’d want a better ship personally.  All you have to do is look at the number of cancelled crossings on Irish Sea routes with this class of vessel to see what a bad idea it is.
BFMunchkin
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by BFMunchkin »

Update: 'Atlantic Wolff' left Trafalgar Wharf yesterday (June 5th) and is alongside North Quay (Astern of Berth 5 in Portsmouth Port).

The vessel will remain in Portsmouth Port until Wednesday 19th June when she finally departs.
vikingvoyager
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Post by vikingvoyager »

BFMunchkin wrote: 06 Jun 2024 10:55 Update: 'Atlantic Wolff' left Trafalgar Wharf yesterday (June 5th) and is alongside North Quay (Astern of Berth 5 in Portsmouth Port).

The vessel will remain in Portsmouth Port until Wednesday 19th June when she finally departs.

Should give us time to order the popcorn