We know that there is a long history with our facilities at East Cowes.
In 2017, our plans for the redevelopment of the area were consented by the Planning Inspectorate on behalf of the Secretary of State. Since then, we have further considered our proposals and believe that we can make significant improvements to the plans as they are, mainly to address the issue of resilience of our current infrastructure.
Over the past 12 months, we’ve taken the time to rigorously review our operational requirements and apply these to a series of potential design options. These options have brought us to this stage to present the option that we believe offers the strongest outcome for the community.
Our new plans will:
- Reduce congestion impacting the community in the town centre by providing enhanced and more efficient marshalling facilities, that are accessed directly from Well Road and Castle Street.
- Ensure better use of space within the marshalling yard for a more efficient and reliable service, by using advanced technology and constructing a new terminal building near the town centre.
- Facilitate the opportunity to create a mixed-use development including a hotel, homes and retail spaces will provide economic growth for the local area, as well as more opportunities for visitors to experience the waterfront.
- Provide new linkspans to ensure reliability of service and future resilience should one fail, ensuring a continued lifeline service to the Isle of Wight.
- Improve accessibility with new gangways and waiting areas for people with additional requirements, ensuring passengers can embark and disembark safely and efficiently.
- The provision of moving the terminal away from the main ferry traffic will enhance safe access for foot passengers (including drop-offs). It will also provide opportunities for sharing parking facilities with visitors to the town.
- Include various food and beverage offerings, such as take-away coffees kiosks, snacks, and light meals to suit every taste. Our aim is for the food offering to showcase the best of local vendors of the island and focus on seasonality.
More at : https://redfunnelport.co.uk/