Grimaldi Lines

Mediterranean Ferries serving Southern Europe, North Africa plus ferries to the Canarias (Canary Islands)
hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Grimaldi Lines

Post by hhvferry »

Cruise Europa is in Marseille, it looks like it's for repairs rather than scheduled maintenance.

Cruise Bonaria is filling the gap on the Livorno-Olbia route.
juanito
Barfleur
Reactions:

Grimaldi Lines

Post by juanito »

I have one question here, recently was said that Maersk sold all it 37,5% of share in Hoegh autoliner... But nobody is naming the buyer.
Who could be ?
Greekferryadept
Bretagne
Reactions:

Grimaldi Lines

Post by Greekferryadept »

The share purchase agreement for the acquisition of 67% in the share capital of the Heraklion Port Authority (ALL S.A.) was signed between TAIPED and the consortium consisting of the companies "Grimaldi Euromed S.p.A." and "Minoan Lines A.N.E.", for a total price of 80 million euros.

Full article (in Greek): https://ellinikiaktoploia.net/ypegrafi- ... irakleioy/
Risberg
Bretagne
Reactions:

Grimaldi Lines

Post by Risberg »

juanito wrote: 10 Dec 2023 20:54 I have one question here, recently was said that Maersk sold all it 37,5% of share in Hoegh autoliner... But nobody is naming the buyer.
Who could be ?

It's not for the benefit of the passengers when ship companies start to buy ports.
Author of "Fra LILLEBELT to SKÅNE" about train ferries and other railway owned ships in Scandinavia and the Baltic, in Scandinavian with English summaries. Free pdf-version by contacting me on "Private messages"
ManiaNave
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Grimaldi Lines

Post by ManiaNave »

No move from SSC Bari to Grimaldi Group

The Bari fans' hopes of seeing a change of club lasted a few hours, in fact in the last few hours the rumors that spoke of an interest in SSC Bari by the Grimaldi Group were denied.

Obviously the denials, coming from both Grimaldi and Bari, have chilled the fans already with an inclined relationship with the football club due to the fluctuating results in Serie B complete with 3 defeats in the last 4* days
Shipping-Forecast
Engine Room
Reactions:

Grimaldi Lines

Post by Shipping-Forecast »

Moved to Finnlines specific branch of discussion to Finnlines
VikingGlory
Bretagne
Reactions:

Grimaldi Lines

Post by VikingGlory »

Grimaldi seems to want to challenge MSC’s ownership of Moby with the competition authorities.
Furthermore they’re speaking about the new passenger vessels. They will be ordered specifically for the Italian, Greek and Spanish lines.
Before signing the contract they want to await the latest engine developments on fuel consumption and emissions.

https://www.shippingitaly.it/2023/12/21 ... onclamato/
hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Grimaldi Lines

Post by hhvferry »

Ha, what a hypocrite. Complains about other company's supposed monopolies whilst also complaining that he doesn't have complete control over the ports he runs from.
Greekferryadept
Bretagne
Reactions:

Grimaldi Lines

Post by Greekferryadept »

Apparently Grimaldi Lines was first to announce the EU ETS hikes, setting the charge in euros per meter of truck length. However, it then reduced the charges by around 50% to approach the much lower charges announced by the Attica Group.

https://www.ekathimerini.com/economy/12 ... -up-fares/
martupls
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Grimaldi Lines

Post by martupls »

VikingGlory wrote: 21 Dec 2023 22:41 Grimaldi seems to want to challenge MSC’s ownership of Moby with the competition authorities.
Furthermore they’re speaking about the new passenger vessels. They will be ordered specifically for the Italian, Greek and Spanish lines.
Before signing the contract they want to await the latest engine developments on fuel consumption and emissions.

https://www.shippingitaly.it/2023/12/21 ... onclamato/

so they are looking for a replacement for the Ciudad De Alcudia 
ropax wrote: 22 Dec 2023 14:33
VikingGlory wrote: 21 Dec 2023 22:41 They will be ordered specifically for the Italian, Greek and Spanish lines.
Named are these routes, but maybe it will be more other routes also:
Livorno-Palermo
Valencia-Mallorca
Brindisi-Igoumenitsa
Piraeus-Heraklion
Means in fact minimum 8 new big Pax-ferries ! 😃

Replacing mainly the then (in the delivery-years 2028-30) ca. 26-30 years old Superfast / Palace style ships which has relative high fuel-costs ? Maybe also replacing Visentinis with big Pax-ferries ? If GNV would use the new 4 ordered 1500 RoPax-ships "against" Grimaldis Visentinis ?
Let us hope in really big and very comfortable ferries for ca. 3000 Pax - this would be really a step forward for all people.
With a 3000 Pax-ferry it would be f.ex. also possible to offer cheaper ticket-prices than Airlines, f.ex. on Valencia-Mallorca - and Grimaldi has spoken from "more traffic". To "steal" people not only from competing ferries but from Airlines also has a very big potential. 

If i am searching "Valencia-Mallorca" i get offered from Balearia the Visentini "Kerry" and the "Eleonor Roosevelt" Catamaran from Denia.
So both ship-types would be here theoretic possible to order from Grimaldi... . But the other named routes are normally too long for Catamarans and then the possibility of sleeping comfortable in the night would missing also. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am generally against it that shipping-companies buys any ports, long-time renting of berths and space in ports is ok - but not a buy out of ports. All this is "critical infrastructure" as Airports, Motorways, Railway-tracks etc. and should be owned always by the states. Operation can be given to efficiency private neutral port-operation-companies, but not to shipping-companies. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Haved checked in detail the Grimaldi-ferries operating Livorno-Olbia. They are offering MUCH MORE onboard for the people than the both new Moby "Jumbos" - so if we "must" use especially this route and the ticket-price is the same we would always book Grimaldi. And many other tourists will think similar - so Grimaldi does not need new ships there now. Or in other words: A desaster for Moby, they have invested 260 Mio. in 2 new ferries, but still a lot of people will choose Grimaldi because he has the much more attractive ferries there.

they will search for a ship more focused on freight than passengers for the Valencia - Palma. It's well known that the Ciudad De Alcudia will leave Trasmed fleet soon.
hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Grimaldi Lines

Post by hhvferry »

martupls wrote: 13 Jan 2024 05:13
they will search for a ship more focused on freight than passengers for the Valencia - Palma. It's well known that the Ciudad De Alcudia will leave Trasmed fleet soon.
Thanks for the update. She's never seemed an ideal fit for this sector, even if the Valencia route is more freight focussed. I wonder what will end up there instead.
martupls
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Grimaldi Lines

Post by martupls »

hhvferry wrote: 13 Jan 2024 07:22
martupls wrote: 13 Jan 2024 05:13
Thanks for the update. She's never seemed an ideal fit for this sector, even if the Valencia route is more freight focussed. I wonder what will end up there instead.

According to some people from Trasmed, they told me that probably the replacement will be the Igoumenitsa ex Balearia's Rosalind Franklin, and the Ciudad de Alcudia will be sold to another company not related with Grimaldi.
hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Grimaldi Lines

Post by hhvferry »

martupls wrote: 19 Jan 2024 22:16
hhvferry wrote: 13 Jan 2024 07:22

According to some people from Trasmed, they told me that probably the replacement will be the Igoumenitsa ex Balearia's Rosalind Franklin, and the Ciudad de Alcudia will be sold to another company not related with Grimaldi.
Interesting. Implies that the Europalink will head to Brindisi to free up the Igoumenitsa.

Now the Ciudad de Alcudia is the sort of ship I'd expect a startup like Hibernia Line to begin operations with. Old but not too old, or too slow. Decent freight capacity. Adequate for general passengers (sadly not as nice as she was as new when she and her sisters were rather swish). And purpose designed for a long run like Boulogne - Cork.
martupls
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Grimaldi Lines

Post by martupls »

hhvferry wrote: 19 Jan 2024 22:25
martupls wrote: 19 Jan 2024 22:16

Interesting. Implies that the Europalink will head to Brindisi to free up the Igoumenitsa.

Now the Ciudad de Alcudia is the sort of ship I'd expect a startup like Hibernia Line to begin operations with. Old but not too old, or too slow. Decent freight capacity. Adequate for general passengers (sadly not as nice as she was as new when she and her sisters were rather swish). And purpose designed for a long run like Boulogne - Cork.

I think that they shouldn't have sold the old Ciudad de Mahón to IF, she could be a good ship for that route.
martupls
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Grimaldi Lines

Post by martupls »

It's a bit too early to confirm all of this, but once the Finncanopus will start to operate with Finnlines, the Europalink will replace the Igoumenitsa, who will join the Trasmed fleet replacing the Ciudad De Alcudia. Also as It's been reported in other threads, the Ciudad De Mahon from Trasmed has been sold to Balearia.
ropax
Bretagne
Reactions:

Grimaldi Lines

Post by ropax »

So in fact Grimaldi upgrade Baltic, upgrade Adria, upgrade Spain - only the Malmö-Travemünde route stays poor with oldest smallest ferries.

And Balearia get the next fine ferry in their fleet.
hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Grimaldi Lines

Post by hhvferry »

ropax wrote: 27 Jan 2024 09:38 So in fact Grimaldi upgrade Baltic, upgrade Adria, upgrade Spain - only the Malmö-Travemünde route stays poor with oldest smallest ferries.

And Balearia get the next fine ferry in their fleet.
So Grimaldi have:

- Sold their Minoan fast craft to Seajets and withdrawn from the Piraeus-Cyclades-Crete fast ferry market
- Withdrawn the Kydon Palace and closed their Piraeus-Chania route
- Removed their fast cruise ro-paxes from the Adriatic and replaced them with a pair of Visentinis, increasing journey times and massively reducing passenger comfort and capacity
- In the process of the above they closed the legacy Ancona-Patras route that Minoan had operated for decades
- Are right now in the middle of downsizing their fleet in Spain by a fifth with the effect of reducing the number of sailings and service to Balearic islands

If any of the above were done by Stena Line you would be losing your mind but somehow you're saying this is all "upgrading". Why are some companies different to others in your posts? It's similar to all the evidence of how Color Line have slashed routes and ships but you praise them.
MarkoPolo
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Grimaldi Lines

Post by MarkoPolo »

ropax wrote: 27 Jan 2024 09:38 upgrade Adria

Upgrade Adria?
Well, it's easy to upgrade what was once downgraded and downrunned almost to zero by the same company. 
Hard to talk about upgrade when you remember Minoan Lines and their game-changing Palaces though. 

And then talking about how Attica downrunned the route, with a stable operation of 3 similar high speed cruise ropaxes. 
fabthi
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Grimaldi Lines

Post by fabthi »

ropax wrote: 27 Jan 2024 09:38 So in fact Grimaldi upgrade Adria
I'm sure you have never traveled on one of the two Visentini running the "upgraded" Adriatic route for Grimaldi.

PetranPireotis
Barfleur
Reactions:

Grimaldi Lines

Post by PetranPireotis »

I think he means Adria Ferries by selling IkaruSmeralda 😁
Shipspotting in Piraeus since 2011 : www.piraeuships.eu
fabthi
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Grimaldi Lines

Post by fabthi »

PetranPireotis wrote: 27 Jan 2024 14:06 I think he means Adria Ferries by selling IkaruSmeralda
ropax wrote: 27 Jan 2024 09:38 So in fact Grimaldi upgrade Baltic, upgrade Adria, upgrade Spain
To me, it seems he is talking about Grimaldi upgrades in various markets

hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Grimaldi Lines

Post by hhvferry »

Europalink is now bound for Napoli and a return to her Adriatic career. I wonder if we'll ever see her in the Baltic again.

Europalink 30/01/24
Europalink 30/01/24
ManiaNave
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Grimaldi Lines

Post by ManiaNave »

hhvferry wrote: 30 Jan 2024 09:30 Europalink is now bound for Napoli and a return to her Adriatic career. I wonder if we'll ever see her in the Baltic again.

Screenshot_20240130-092829~2.png
New name is: Igoumenitsa

fabthi
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Grimaldi Lines

Post by fabthi »

ManiaNave wrote: 30 Jan 2024 09:32
hhvferry wrote: 30 Jan 2024 09:30 Europalink is now bound for Napoli and a return to her Adriatic career. I wonder if we'll ever see her in the Baltic again.

Screenshot_20240130-092829~2.png
What will happen to the actual “Igoumenitsa”running the Brindisi-Igoumenitsa route???

hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Grimaldi Lines

Post by hhvferry »

fabthi wrote: 30 Jan 2024 11:29
ManiaNave wrote: 30 Jan 2024 09:32
What will happen to the actual “Igoumenitsa”running the Brindisi-Igoumenitsa route???

She's scheduled to go to the Balearic lines in place of the former Euroferry Egnazia (now Ciudad De Alcudia ). Presumably renamed!