Guernsey And Jersey To Tender To Freight And Passenger Services

Ferries serving the Jersey, Guernsey, St Malo and the UK
MarkoPolo
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by MarkoPolo »

ropax wrote: 29 Jan 2024 21:23 DFDS WAS the biggest for long time - but now it is NFI-EQT.

Alone Helsingör-Helsingborg has annually 7 Mio. passengers, Bornholmslinjen 2 Mio., Molslinjen 4 Mio., Alslinjen, Samsölinjen, Fanölinjen, Langelandslinjen ... Laeso want now also change from "state-operation" to "private-operation" = NFI has best chances. They have much more than 100 ferries also, many of them departing every 20, 30 or 60 min from 6:00 to 24:00 etc. .  Just one compare only: Newhaven-Dieppe has a bit more than 300.000 passenger per year only... .

So maybe DFDS is (still) the biggest Danish freight-logistics-transport-group. But this has nothing to do with the word "ferry".
A ferry is a transport-vehicle what EVERYBODY can use and book easy without any special conditions etc. .
So foot-passenger, bicycle, motor-bikes, cars, motor-homes, caravans, tourist-coaches, trucks etc. .

So also if here in this forum some people are reporting about 100% Roro-freighter - these ships has nothing to do with the definition "ferry".
Because they can not booked or used by the circa 500 Mio. Europeans. Just freight-ships for freight on wheels - but not a ferry.

Nonsense par excellence. DFDS is bigger. End of story. 
DFDS is present everywhere, from the Mediterranean up to the northern Baltic, while hardly anyone outside Denmark ever heard of NFI. Alone on Dover-Calais/Dunkerque DFDS carries more than the whole NFI group together. 
NFI is no more than an unimportant Danish domestic carrier. Will this forum ever stop glorifying their unimportance?
A ferry is anything that carries vehicles on a scheduled passengers/freight route. The DFDS' Trieste - Istanbul route is a ferry too, and it's an insanely important freight link for Central Europe. 

The debate "who is bigger" could be DFDS vs. Stena Line, because DFDS claims they are the biggest, but Stena has more routes... 
vikingvoyager
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Post by vikingvoyager »

ropax wrote: 30 Jan 2024 15:33 In Scandinavia f.ex. are 9 from 10 domestic ferries FREE GRATIS

* not free *

Paid for by tax / government revenue
elaine80
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Post by elaine80 »

vikingvoyager wrote: 12 Feb 2024 09:33
ropax wrote: 30 Jan 2024 15:33 In Scandinavia f.ex. are 9 from 10 domestic ferries FREE GRATIS

* not free *

i.e. paid for by everyone whether or not they use the ferries.
HansP
Cotentin
Reactions:

Post by HansP »

vikingvoyager wrote: 12 Feb 2024 09:33

* not free *

Furthermore it is simply not correct that in Scandinavia the majority of domestic ferries are "free", e.g. in Denmark for all ferries operated by Mols Linjen (Fano / Langeland / Als / etc.) and for other ferries to Laeso, Samso, etc - just to name a few - fees have to be paid!
Seashore
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by Seashore »

Anyone else notice the dichotomy here:

Condor Ferries; high prices = bad
ropax wrote: 29 Jan 2024 14:56 Why are you so positive about Condor ?
They have financial problems, they have very very high ticket-prices,

Fjord Line; high prices = good
ropax wrote: 13 Feb 2024 19:11 They have a Cat from 1998 replaced with a ca. double-so-big newest Cat - so i am 100% sure that Fjordline is making really very good money with this fast new ship.
- The ticket-prices are very high, f.ex. 382,- for car + 2 Pax on 20.7.
SilverDot
Bretagne
Reactions:

Post by SilverDot »

Seashore wrote: 13 Feb 2024 23:01 Anyone else notice the dichotomy here:

Condor Ferries; high prices = bad
ropax wrote: 29 Jan 2024 14:56 Why are you so positive about Condor ?
They have financial problems, they have very very high ticket-prices,
Fjord Line; high prices = good
ropax wrote: 13 Feb 2024 19:11 They have a Cat from 1998 replaced with a ca. double-so-big newest Cat - so i am 100% sure that Fjordline is making really very good money with this fast new ship.
- The ticket-prices are very high, f.ex. 382,- for car + 2 Pax on 20.7.
No doubt Ropax posts some contraditory statements, these are not. It is possible for Condor to have high prices and be in financially difficulty, and for Fjordline to have high prices and be making a lot of profit. I also don't see where he says he agrees with the Fjordline prices, just Fjordline are high in his opinion. It must be somewhat of a shock as the route is still busy, which does contradict Ropax's first law of ferries, Cheap Ferry Good, Expensive Ferry Bad, Free Ferry Best.
khaines
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by khaines »

Stumbled across this, this morning.  Why don’t the CEOs of both DFDS and BF organise a head to head in each island?

DFDS to do public meetings in the CI.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c4n51g9xwwzo
nickgsy
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Post by nickgsy »

khaines wrote: 10 Apr 2024 07:14 Stumbled across this, this morning.  Why don’t the CEOs of both DFDS and BF organise a head to head in each island?
I'll be going to the Guernsey DFDS meeting. Already in my diary!
vikingvoyager
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Post by vikingvoyager »

nickgsy wrote: 10 Apr 2024 08:12
khaines wrote: 10 Apr 2024 07:14 Stumbled across this, this morning.  Why don’t the CEOs of both DFDS and BF organise a head to head in each island?

Don't be swayed by the pastries!
PatriaS
Barfleur
Reactions:

Post by PatriaS »

What do you think will be on the islanders wish list?
nickgsy
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Post by nickgsy »

PatriaS wrote: 10 Apr 2024 22:47

My wish list as a Guernsey resident is:
1. Overnight conventional ferry - both directions from Portsmouth or Poole.
2. Better appointed conventional ferries. Condor Islander is good in many ways but could be better. Having no Lounge bar and decent place to sit other than premium lounge areas is not good enough.
3. Better priced cabins and consideration of sleeping pods for budget passengers.
4. Better reliability in bad weather.
5. Day trips to St Malo from Guernsey.
6. Reliable freight service at a competitive price for hauliers.
Danim
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by Danim »

nickgsy wrote: 11 Apr 2024 08:26

My wish list as a Guernsey resident is:
1. Overnight conventional ferry - both directions from Portsmouth or Poole.
2. Better appointed conventional ferries. Condor Islander is good in many ways but could be better. Having no Lounge bar and decent place to sit other than premium lounge areas is not good enough.
3. Better priced cabins and consideration of sleeping pods for budget passengers.
4. Better reliability in bad weather.
5. Day trips to St Malo from Guernsey.
6. Reliable freight service at a competitive price for hauliers.

Everything that may come if the islands encouraged more tourism, something you say they aren't bothered about. And hauliers are unlikely to get competitive prices without competition. Maybe having a different operator may help in some of these regards. Sticking with the same old will just stay, like, the same old.... 
nickgsy
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Post by nickgsy »

Danim wrote: 11 Apr 2024 08:50

What do you think will be on 
Everything that may come if the islands encouraged more tourism, something you say they aren't bothered about. And hauliers are unlikely to get competitive prices without competition. Maybe having a different operator may help in some of these regards. Sticking with the same old will just stay, like, the same old.... 
Well we are interested in tourism in Guernsey, it's just compared to income from international finance as a low tax area it's contribution is miniscule. However many people and organisations are committed to making tourism work.

crechbleiz
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Post by crechbleiz »

nickgsy wrote: 11 Apr 2024 09:25
Well we are interested in tourism in Guernsey, it's just compared to income from international finance as a low tax area it's contribution is miniscule. However many people and organisations are committed to making tourism work.

Maybe a minute rise on tax should be on the cards to pay for the wish list?
nickgsy
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Post by nickgsy »

crechbleiz wrote: 11 Apr 2024 12:21
nickgsy wrote: 11 Apr 2024 09:25
Maybe a minute rise on tax should be on the cards to pay for the wish list?
Well we currently already have a lot of what I would like on the list. I just personally think Condor Ferries/ Brittany Ferries are best to deliver the continuation of this, including passenger conventional ferry services overnight- in both directions. I can't see how DFDS will do this. And what passenger conventional vessels would they intend to use? Condor's? Would Condor sell? Remember many operators were trying to get Islander when she was up for sale.

PatriaS
Barfleur
Reactions:

Post by PatriaS »

Anybody going to these public meetings next week?

It would be interesting to hear any reports of what is happening.

Is the DFDS CEO making an appearance?  
nickgsy
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Post by nickgsy »

I'm going to Guernsey DFDS presentation meeting next week. Not sure if DFDS CEO is going or not.
nickgsy
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Post by nickgsy »

At the DFDS meeting hopefully we might get more info on UK ports they propose to use. Is it just Portsmouth? And which conventional passenger ro pax ferries do they intend to use, if any? And do they propose to use these new slower electric Incats, for example? I hope not.
northsaul
Cotentin
Reactions:

Post by northsaul »

Not the CEO, but the Vice President of Ferries and head of the Channel and Baltic business unit, Filip Werne Herman and the passenger Director Karen Baurdoux
PatriaS
Barfleur
Reactions:

Post by PatriaS »

nickgsy wrote: 19 Apr 2024 08:49 At the DFDS meeting hopefully we might get more info on UK ports they propose to use. Is it just Portsmouth? And which conventional passenger ro pax ferries do they intend to use, if any? And do they propose to use these new slower electric Incats, for example? I hope not.

Interesting to hear what is announced.  As the challenger you'd think there would be some information given on how they plan to cover the routes. 
northsaul
Cotentin
Reactions:

Post by northsaul »

My understanding is that the States of Jersey and Guernsey have not published the requirements yet, so dont expect vessels to be named
PatriaS
Barfleur
Reactions:

Post by PatriaS »

northsaul wrote: 19 Apr 2024 09:50 My understanding is that the States of Jersey and Guernsey have not published the requirements yet, so dont expect vessels to be named

Might they give a commitment to build new ships though?
northsaul
Cotentin
Reactions:

Post by northsaul »

Well they have announced a program of 150m electric ferries by 2030, they might include CI in that
baypaul
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by baypaul »

northsaul wrote: 19 Apr 2024 10:02 Well they have announced a program of 150m electric ferries by 2030, they might include CI in that
The channel islands routes are probably a bit long for electric ferries to be practical...  The electric routes are planned to be out of Dover. 
nickgsy
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Post by nickgsy »

northsaul wrote: 19 Apr 2024 09:50 My understanding is that the States of Jersey and Guernsey have not published the requirements yet, so dont expect vessels to be named
They have stipulated I believe they are not specifying what type of ferry is needed - conventional or fast passenger ferry. I've seen that reported in the local media here in Guernsey. But I don't full tender spec has been issued yet.