DFDS Sells Copenhagen-Oslo Route To Gotlandsbolaget

Scandinavian Ferries serving Northern Europe and the Baltic that do not serve the UK or Ireland
VikingGlory
Bretagne
Reactions:

Post by VikingGlory »

Gotlandsbolaget has bought the Olso-Copenhagen route from DFDS. DFDS will operate the route until October 31st, after which Gotlandsbolaget will take over. 

I had to make sure three times that it wasn’t April 1st but it’s true 😅.

I wonder if Viking Line and Gotlandsbolaget could work together in ordering ferries. Gotlandsbolaget for Oslo-Copenhagen and Viking Line for Stockholm-Helsinki.

https://www.shippax.com/en/news/breakin ... aget-.aspx

https://www.sjofartstidningen.se/gotlan ... kopenhamn/
hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Post by hhvferry »

An amazing thing for DFDS to divest, from a Danish prestige point of view if nothing else. Genuinely shocking and leaves North Shields-Ijmuiden very exposed within the DFDS network.
ryanh
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by ryanh »

We can perhaps infer from this that DFDS is done with operating traditional cruise-ferries for good, and that, assuming it continues to operate the Ijmuiden route, the future will be ro-pax vessels. 
PatriaS
Barfleur
Reactions:

Post by PatriaS »

ryanh wrote: 10 Jun 2024 10:09 We can perhaps infer from this that DFDS is done with operating traditional cruise-ferries for good, and that, assuming it continues to operate the Ijmuiden route, the future will be ro-pax vessels. 

Certainly the vessels revealed for the Newcastle route look more ropax.  My experience is that although you see lots of mini-cruisers on the Dutch route at dead times of year, the route is much more of a ropax route now with transport passengers dominating the traffic along with as much freight as they can squeeze on.

I'm not sure if it is true but somebody once told me it is the most profitable route in the whole of DFDS these days so I can't see it going.
hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Post by hhvferry »

Finnsirius and Finncanopus show that there's nothing to stop ro-paxes having genuine cruise ferry facilities. It needs an owner willing to take the gamble of the extra investment up front. For new 'ro-cruises' on the the Ijmuiden route, given the limitations of the current ships, they'd presumably need or want to forecast a fairly large increase in freight carryings to support the higher lane metres of genuine ro paxes.
Risberg
Bretagne
Reactions:

Post by Risberg »

PatriaS wrote: 10 Jun 2024 10:40   My experience is that although you see lots of mini-cruisers on the Dutch route at dead times of year, the route is much more of a ropax route now with transport passengers dominating the traffic along with as much freight as they can squeeze on.

I'm not sure if it is true but somebody once told me it is the most profitable route in the whole of DFDS these days so I can't see it going.

I would say that on the Copenhagen – Oslo service transport passengers always were a bigger share than on f.ex. the Stockholm - Turku or Stockholm - Helsinki services. But DFDS has slowly, over many years, mounted down the service, first by cancelling the calls in Helsingborg, then, when they were thrown out of Kvæsthusbroen and docking in Frihavnen, they offered free buses for gangway passengers to Østerport railway station and Kongens Nytorv, that you after a few years had to buy ticket for (not compatible with the public transport in Greater Copenhagen), the speed was reduced, causing a lot of trips to Copenhagen for one day business becoming meaningless, and with the call of Frederikshavn even more so (if you visit their home page they don't even tell you the arrival time). At the same time they maintain an extremely expensive restaurant offer, where the Danish krone has become more and more expensive for Norwegians (and Swedes).

It will be very interesting to see for how long Gotlandsbolaget will manage to operate outside their "home region". I remind of the fact that they bought the Swedish part of TT-Line from Swedcarrier, but left TT-Line soon, by selling to the other owner, the German TT-Line.   
Author of "Fra LILLEBELT to SKÅNE" about train ferries and other railway owned ships in Scandinavia and the Baltic, in Scandinavian with English summaries. Free pdf-version by contacting me on "Private messages"
szcz49
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Post by szcz49 »

I also wonder what colors Pearl Seaways and Crown Seaways will wear.
Risberg
Bretagne
Reactions:

Post by Risberg »

szcz49 wrote: 10 Jun 2024 11:37 I also wonder what colors Pearl Seaways and Crown Seaways will wear.

I would assume white hulls and red funnels with a big white "G". 
Author of "Fra LILLEBELT to SKÅNE" about train ferries and other railway owned ships in Scandinavia and the Baltic, in Scandinavian with English summaries. Free pdf-version by contacting me on "Private messages"
Risberg
Bretagne
Reactions:

Post by Risberg »

This is the second time a Swedish company operates between Denmark and Norway. Stena Line operated the Oslo - Frederikshavn service by the STENA SAGA, home port Stockholm, until covid 19 made Stena Line closed that service (and Trelleborg - Saßnitz). 

It will be interesting to see if PEARL SEAWAYS and CROWN SEAWAYS will change home port from Copenhagen to Visby.

Opposite the first Sundbusserne between Elsinore and Helsingborg were Norwegian, with Oslo as home port. (As was the ferries on the Gedser - Travemünde service originally).
ryanh
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by ryanh »

As has been said it does seem a shame that DFDS is giving up on what I thought (perhaps wrongly) was their 'jewel in the crown route'. But then they closed Esbjerg-Harwich nearly ten years ago, which I don't think many saw coming at the time. They are a very hard-nosed organisation and I suppose there's no room for sentiment in business. It seems pretty clear that their focus nowadays is on freight and transport, and so this route was clearly looking rather out of place with their other activities. 
VikingGlory
Bretagne
Reactions:

Post by VikingGlory »

I think it will be super interesting to see what Gotlandsbolaget can eventually bring to the table. I read in one of the releases that their primary focus is to make the current ships more environmentally friendly, but surely newbuilds can't be super far away?

I do think that they will work together with their partners at Viking Line in achieving this. The Stockholm-Helsinki route and Oslo-Copenhagen routes don't seem to differ that much and would bring costs down for both of the companies.

It's nice to see Gotlandsbolaget expand. They obviously want to diversify their portfolio, keeping in mind that Sweden is considering to make the Gotland traffic state owned.
Risberg
Bretagne
Reactions:

Post by Risberg »

The following just disappeared, when I klicked "Submit". THIS IS NOT THE FIRST TIME!

Copenhagen and Oslo don't make it easier for DFDS to develop the service as a ro/pax service. Copenhagen threw them out from Kvæsthusbroen to Frihavnen, but they had denied the Danish and Swedish state railways to transport lorries on the DanLink train ferries Copenhagen Frihavn - Helsingborg, so maybe Copenhagen haven't given up, reducing or banning the lorry traffic to Frihavnen. Oslo actually tried to throw DFDS out of Vippetangen, but failed, but might have plans to reduce or ban the lorry traffic. Oslo threw DFDS TOR LINE out from Sørengkaia (where I eventually lived my last years in Oslo).
baypaul
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by baypaul »

I'm not really surprised at DFDS selling the route - it is an oddity in the network - even Newcastle - Ijmuiden has a reasonable freight focus.  The ships will need replacing soon, and I just can't see DFDS building a cruise ferry.
Gotlandsbolaget is a bit of a surprise.  Like others I wonder if it is linked with the Viking joint venture, as I could certainly imagine the ships painted red and running under the Viking brand and operation.  But if so, why wouldn't it have been announced as such.  Perhaps it is just them trying to make sure the company has a future if they lose their core Gotland routes.
VikingGlory
Bretagne
Reactions:

Post by VikingGlory »

baypaul wrote: 10 Jun 2024 12:43 I'm not really surprised at DFDS selling the route - it is an oddity in the network - even Newcastle - Ijmuiden has a reasonable freight focus.  The ships will need replacing soon, and I just can't see DFDS building a cruise ferry.
Gotlandsbolaget is a bit of a surprise.  Like others I wonder if it is linked with the Viking joint venture, as I could certainly imagine the ships painted red and running under the Viking brand and operation.  But if so, why wouldn't it have been announced as such.  Perhaps it is just them trying to make sure the company has a future if they lose their core Gotland routes.

Gotlandsbolaget's CEO did say ahead of Birka's debut that they'd want to expand their JV with Viking in case it is successful. Now seeing Viking Line ferries run between Oslo and Copenhagen would be great, but in case that would happen it would most certainly be in the form of a new JV like they did with Gotland Alandia Cruises AB.

I don't think Viking is in on this, they seem to have their hands full. But it would be super cool to see if they do end up doing it together. Remember that it took Viking and Gotlandsbolaget about 4 months to announce that Viking was in with Birka. 

But that's wishful thinking. I think this will be Gotlandsbolaget solely. But one can hope!
munstertillburgundy
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by munstertillburgundy »

Anyone wondering what Pearl Seaways and Crown Seaways may look like in Viking colours? 😂
KnutLorentzen
Cotentin
Reactions:

Post by KnutLorentzen »

Sad but not suprising at all, the "cruise" ferry is soon history, and we well probably see cheap China build ro-pax as Gotlandsbolaget are known for. 
Risberg
Bretagne
Reactions:

Post by Risberg »

munstertillburgundy wrote: 10 Jun 2024 13:19 Anyone wondering what Pearl Seaways and Crown Seaways may look like in Viking colours? 😂

Rather Gotlandsbolaget's colours. viewtopic.php?p=32186#p32186
Risberg
Bretagne
Reactions:

Post by Risberg »

For lovers of traditional, Danish passenger ship routes, DFDS leaving the Copenhagen - Oslo service is a real loss. However, it was just as bad when DFDS, some six-seven years ago, out of greed replaced the famous, Danish draught Carlsberg beer by the waterdamaged Heineken beer. I wonder if they realised what a shock that was to their passengers; that you couldn't get a draught Carlsberg on a Danish ferry.
Nautica
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Post by Nautica »

munstertillburgundy wrote: 10 Jun 2024 13:19 Anyone wondering what Pearl Seaways and Crown Seaways may look like in Viking colours? 😂

Literally Gabriella and Athena settling down here in Oslo 🤣 Plus Athena getting that swirly white line on the red hull for the first time.

If they actually are painted in Gotlandsbolaget’s colors, it would somewhat be in homage to the Stena Saga days, well except for the S on the funnel being replaced with a G.
zuludelta
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Post by zuludelta »

Very surprised at this news to see an old guard member of the European ro-pax industry hang up their boots on such a symbolic route.

It's a bit like Real Madrid saying they won't be playing in La Liga anymore.

Nautica
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Post by Nautica »

It’s interesting how DFDS proposed the quite ambitious hydrogen vessel concept for the route in form of Europa Seaways, even in the middle of a pandemic (October 2020 if I’m not mistaken).

Gotlandsbolaget being an advocate for hydrogen propulsion themselves with their own Horizon series, one could think they’d use it as their core solution for future newbuilds.
In my opinion, however, the route is subject to some unpredictability with Oslo Havn expressing interest to combine all international routes from Vippetangen, much to Color Line’s disapproval given their current location at Filipstad.
We could potentially see a conflict with Color Line regarding future timetables if Oslo Havn’s plan is fulfilled, potentially resulting in a similar dispute they had with Fjord Line about their operations to Strömstad. Or a competition more reminiscent of Tallink and Viking Line.

Source reviewing Oslo Havn’s proposal for a unified terminal at Vippetangen: https://www.vartoslo.no/bane-nor-color- ... tet/558863
Last edited by Nautica on 10 Jun 2024 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
nickgsy
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Post by nickgsy »

DFDS is no longer the ferry operator I loved as a child in the 1980s. I was in awe of Dana Regina, Dana Anglia and Tor Scandinavia when first travelling on them as a child / young teenager in early to mid 1980s. 

And people locally here think DFDS are good for the Channel Islands. I'm not so sure.
Risberg
Bretagne
Reactions:

Post by Risberg »

Nautica wrote: 10 Jun 2024 16:55 It’s interesting how DFDS proposed the quite ambitious hydrogen vessel concept for the route in form of Europa Seaways, even in the middle of a pandemic (October 2020 if I’m not mistaken).

Gotlandsbolaget being an advocate for hydrogen propulsion themselves with their own Horizon series, one could think they’d use it as their core solution for future newbuilds.
In my opinion, however, the route is subject to some unpredictability with Oslo Havn expressing interest to combine all international routes from Vippetangen, much to Color Line’s disapproval given their current location at Filipstad.
We could potentially see a conflict with Color Line regarding future timetables if Oslo Havn’s plan is fulfilled, potentially resulting in a similar dispute they had with Fjord Line about their operations to Strömstad. Or a competition more reminiscent of Tallink and Viking Line.

Source reviewing Oslo Havn’s proposal for a unified terminal at Vippetangen: https://www.vartoslo.no/bane-nor-color- ... tet/558863

Well, first Oslo wanted the ferries located at Kongshavn, with terrible geological conditions and very little space for pedestrians along the E6 into town. Color Line have strong "attachment contracts" (this is a Google translation I'm not sure is correct) for decades at their present location Hjortneskaien, and have threatened to take Oslo to court, if they try to remove them. Therefore it surprises me that they now consider Kongshavn, being the last "cruise ferry" operator.
Risberg
Bretagne
Reactions:

Post by Risberg »

There are pretty many scenarios by this overtake:

1. Nobody sees any future in the route, but DFDS doesn't want to be accused of having closed it, so they sell it cheep to Gotlandsbolaget, who are just interested in the ships, to put into service between Sweden and Finland. Hardly.
  2. Gotlandsbolaget intend to run the route as it is today. Neither very likely.
  3. Gotlandsbolaget plan to put faster ferries (like the ones they have to Gotland today) between Copenhagen and Oslo. They may even speculate in using their Gotland ferries if and when the Swedish government take over the Gotland routes.
  4. Gotlandsbolagt will stop calling Frederikshavn.
  5. Gotlandsbolaget will shorten the route to Frederikshavn - Oslo.

This time they take over a complete route, not half a line, like when they took over the Swedish part of TT-Line.  Their German adventures haven't been very successful - the Rostock - Visby - Nynäshamn service was suspended.
Appia1978
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Post by Appia1978 »

Risberg wrote: 10 Jun 2024 18:19 There are pretty many scenarios by this overtake:

1. Nobody sees any future in the route, but DFDS doesn't want to be accused of having closed it, so they sell it cheep to Gotlandsbolaget, who are just interested in the ships, to put into service between Sweden and Finland. Hardly.
  2. Gotlandsbolaget intend to run the route as it is today. Neither very likely.
  3. Gotlandsbolaget plan to put faster ferries (like the ones they have to Gotland today) between Copenhagen and Oslo. They may even speculate in using their Gotland ferries if and when the Swedish government take over the Gotland routes.
  4. Gotlandsbolagt will stop calling Frederikshavn.
  5. Gotlandsbolaget will shorten the route to Frederikshavn - Oslo.

This time they take over a complete route, not half a line, like when they took over the Swedish part of TT-Line.  Their German adventures haven't been very successful - the Rostock - Visby - Nynäshamn service was suspended.

Number 5 would be plausible with the ferries they currently have.