TT Line Operations

Scandinavian Ferries serving Northern Europe and the Baltic that do not serve the UK or Ireland
Risberg
Bretagne
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by Risberg »

TINKER BELL seems to have problems. In spite of departure according to schedule a delayed arrival to Świnoujście by 30 minutes is announced.
Author of "Fra LILLEBELT to SKÅNE" about train ferries and other railway owned ships in Scandinavia and the Baltic, in Scandinavian with English summaries. Free pdf-version by contacting me on "Private messages"
SimonP
Barfleur
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by SimonP »

Nice video popped up on the World of Ferry Shipping channel yesterday. It is German language but there are English subtitles.

Risberg
Bretagne
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by Risberg »

SimonP wrote: 01 Jun 2024 20:29 Nice video popped up on the World of Ferry Shipping channel yesterday. It is German language but there are English subtitles.

Somewhat pathetic. Didn't see the English subtitles, but I understand German. When the outgoing ferry from Travemünde was shown, they called her PETER PAN, but it was the Swedish NILS HOLGERSSON (Trelleborg's cote of arms in the bow). They only showed the port side of leaving the Trave, as the starboard side still would have been empty GDR "No trespassing" beaches.
Author of "Fra LILLEBELT to SKÅNE" about train ferries and other railway owned ships in Scandinavia and the Baltic, in Scandinavian with English summaries. Free pdf-version by contacting me on "Private messages"
SimonP
Barfleur
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by SimonP »

Risberg wrote: 01 Jun 2024 20:47
SimonP wrote: 01 Jun 2024 20:29 Nice video popped up on the World of Ferry Shipping channel yesterday. It is German language but there are English subtitles.

Somewhat pathetic. Didn't see the English subtitles, but I understand German. When the outgoing ferry from Travemünde was shown, they called her PETER PAN, but it was the Swedish NILS HOLGERSSON (Trelleborg's cote of arms in the bow). They only showed the port side of leaving the Trave, as the starboard side still would have been empty GDR "No trespassing" beaches.

You're full of the joys of spring! 🤣

You also didn't watch the whole thing since you posted before it would even have ended.

Yes it's cheesy but it's a bit of fun and has some interesting footage of when they were new.

Select CC on YouTube and it'll present with English subtitles. Not all foreign language videos do that but this does.
hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by hhvferry »

Always interesting to see inside these two ships when they were new, they were very smart indeed in their differing ways. BF rather butchered the Nils Holgersson, although it's fair to say she wouldn't exactly have fitted into their on board style as she was.

Even as a non-German speaker I can tell that the acting was not Oscar-worthy, but the ship coverage more than made up for it.
Risberg
Bretagne
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by Risberg »

SimonP wrote: 01 Jun 2024 20:49
Risberg wrote: 01 Jun 2024 20:47

You also didn't watch the whole thing since you posted before it would even have ended.

Yes it's cheesy but it's a bit of fun and has some interesting footage of when they were new.

Select CC on YouTube and it'll present with English subtitles. Not all foreign language videos do that but this does.
Just pointing out some facts. Didn't need to watch the whole thing to get an impression of it. The sequence in the beginning, when they turn right to "Skandinavienkai" reminds of that terrible bus ride I had just 25 days ago from the terrible bus station Lübeck Hauptbahnhof/ZOB to the terrible Hafenhaus at Skandinavienkai. And I must admit that it annoys me, and is so typically German, that when they have two sister ships, one Swedish and one German, they only talk about the German one, even when they show the Swedish one. I don't need English subtitles when they speak German.

Last edited by Risberg on 01 Jun 2024 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
SimonP
Barfleur
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by SimonP »

Risberg wrote: 01 Jun 2024 20:58
SimonP wrote: 01 Jun 2024 20:49

Just pointing out some facts. Didn't need to watch the whole thing to get an impression of it. And I must admit that it annoys me, and is so typically German, that when they have two sister ships, one Swedish and one German, they only talk about the German one, even when they show the Swedish one. I don't need English subtitles when they speak German.

Then you missed out on quite a lot of footage further through the video.

Your loss I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Honestly no idea why you're so negative about this, it's just a bit of fun. Go for a beer or something. 😊
Risberg
Bretagne
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by Risberg »

SimonP wrote: 01 Jun 2024 21:01
Your loss I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Hardly. I've travelled by these ferries since 1966 and witnessed the negative development after 1992, especially when it comes to the terminal facilities in Travemünde. 
Last edited by Risberg on 01 Jun 2024 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
SimonP
Barfleur
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by SimonP »

🤦‍♂️
Risberg
Bretagne
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by Risberg »

TOM SAWYER arrived Klaipeda Friday morning, and is still there?!
Risberg
Bretagne
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by Risberg »

Risberg wrote: 02 Jun 2024 13:25 TOM SAWYER arrived Klaipeda Friday morning, and is still there?!

And now ROBIN HOOD have visited Klaipeda, and is on her way back to Karlshamn, but TOM SAWYER shows no sign of leaving Klaipeda!
JustFerries
MN Pelican
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by JustFerries »

Thanks for sharing. I remember that time well. I started my seafaring career on board this PETER PAN. I could write a book about it, so many memories. I still remember some of the people in the video.
I remember many things - it's like the first ice cream you eat in life: the first summer I was there — the first storm off Trelleborg. The big bridge. The engine rooms. The mess. Yes, and of course the Skandinavienkai, which was great. There were so many ferries - Railship was still there, Poseidon Schifffahrt, Finncarriers, Euroway. Later, I worked at the subsidiary Olau-Line. The 1986 built PETER PAN was OK, but the Olau ships were better. PETER PAN interior design was by the same guy who designed the EUROPA cruise ship a few years earlier. Quite dark and brown, while the Olau ships were lighter inside.
Some crew members, including me, were accommodated in the cabins to the side of the upper car decks. It was so loud in these cabins; the main engines were directly below a few decks and the sound went through the side walls into the cabins. My first night was hell, after that, I got used to it.
Crazy times that I would never want to miss!
SimonP
Barfleur
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by SimonP »

JustFerries wrote: 03 Jun 2024 16:42

Thanks for sharing. I remember that time well. I started my seafaring career on board this PETER PAN. I could write a book about it, so many memories. I still remember some of the people in the video.
I remember many things - it's like the first ice cream you eat in life: the first summer I was there — the first storm off Trelleborg. The big bridge. The engine rooms. The mess. Yes, and of course the Skandinavienkai, which was great. There were so many ferries - Railship was still there, Poseidon Schifffahrt, Finncarriers, Euroway. Later, I worked at the subsidiary Olau-Line. The 1986 built PETER PAN was OK, but the Olau ships were better. PETER PAN interior design was by the same guy who designed the EUROPA cruise ship a few years earlier. Quite dark and brown, while the Olau ships were lighter inside.
Some crew members, including me, were accommodated in the cabins to the side of the upper car decks. It was so loud in these cabins; the main engines were directly below a few decks and the sound went through the side walls into the cabins. My first night was hell, after that, I got used to it.

Thank you for sharing! If you have any video of your time with TT, I'd love to see it on your wonderful YouTube channel. Some British guy posted up a video when he was working in the camera/photographic shop on Normandie when she was very early in her career, I think maybe from 94 or 95 and it was great to see. If you have anything similar, that would be great.
Risberg
Bretagne
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by Risberg »

JustFerries wrote: 03 Jun 2024 16:42 PETER PAN interior design was by the same guy who designed the EUROPA cruise ship a few years earlier. Quite dark and brown, while the Olau ships were lighter inside.

Interesting that you mention that. Because at that time TT-Line was half Swedish, so NILS HOLGERSSON had a quite different, lighter, "Scandinavian blond", interior. German TT-Line didn't like that, Jochum Ressel, later CEO of Swedcarrier 1988-98, have told me.

hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by hhvferry »

The first Olau Line pair also had differing "dark" and "light" interiors, I can't remember which was which. I think the second two, whilst different in some detail of decor, were kept more similar.
JustFerries
MN Pelican
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by JustFerries »

SimonP wrote: 03 Jun 2024 19:27
JustFerries wrote: 03 Jun 2024 16:42

Thank you for sharing! If you have any video of your time with TT, I'd love to see it on your wonderful YouTube channel. Some British guy posted up a video when he was working in the camera/photographic shop on Normandie when she was very early in her career, I think maybe from 94 or 95 and it was great to see. If you have anything similar, that would be great.

Thank you very much for your kind words. Unfortunately, I don't have any videos from that time (from onboard), only from the outside, which you can see here. Btw: The first video was taken by my brother, the guy above the bridge is me.

Those were different times. I was one of the youngest on board then, and some colleagues, especially superiors, were very strict. I didn't dare walk around with a video camera. Once I even had to have an interview with the Chief Engineer because I had written an article about my time on the PETER PAN. The TT-Line office (still in Hamburg at the time) thought it was great, but the Chief Engineer was furious and told me that a trainee shouldn't do “something like that”.
But I have a lot of photos from that time. That was more possible. But I don't know how to post them here.
Last edited by JustFerries on 03 Jun 2024 19:53, edited 1 time in total.
JustFerries
MN Pelican
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by JustFerries »

Risberg wrote: 03 Jun 2024 19:31
JustFerries wrote: 03 Jun 2024 16:42 PETER PAN interior design was by the same guy who designed the EUROPA cruise ship a few years earlier. Quite dark and brown, while the Olau ships were lighter inside.

Interesting that you mention that. Because at that time TT-Line was half Swedish, so NILS HOLGERSSON had a quite different, lighter, "Scandinavian blond", interior. German TT-Line didn't like that, Jochum Ressel, later CEO of Swedcarrier 1988-98, have told me.

Yes, that's right, NILS HOLGERSSON was different from PETER PAN. I have heard many stories about the relationship between Swedcarrier and TT-Line, but I have unfortunately forgotten a lot. I can remember the Olau stories better, and that has stayed with me more.
JustFerries
MN Pelican
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by JustFerries »

hhvferry wrote: 03 Jun 2024 19:33 The first Olau Line pair also had differing "dark" and "light" interiors, I can't remember which was which. I think the second two, whilst different in some detail of decor, were kept more similar.

That's right, you can still see that today when you sail on the ALMARIYA. It was designed in the style of TT ships at the time, while its successors (Olau 2nd gen) took a different approach.

The “dark” design can still be seen (at least a little) in my video, as can the general architecture of the Olau and TT-Line ships of the 1980s (the halls amidships over several decks, cabins forward and restaurants aft).

Nautica
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by Nautica »

Thank you for sharing this great video 👍

Looking at the thumbnail, it didn’t occur to me before now that Nils Holgersson’s lifeboats were painted entirely red, while Peter Pan’s have only the roofs painted in a higher visibility color. A feature still differing King Seaways from Princess Seaways, respectively (if we ignore the front superstructure):
Screenshot of a YouTube thumbnail. Source: https://youtu.be/v-DloBT29ic?si=8EnfWlfDIvzKxtie
Screenshot of a YouTube thumbnail. Source: https://youtu.be/v-DloBT29ic?si=8EnfWlfDIvzKxtie

Risberg
Bretagne
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by Risberg »

JustFerries wrote: 03 Jun 2024 19:46
Risberg wrote: 03 Jun 2024 19:31

Yes, that's right, NILS HOLGERSSON was different from PETER PAN. I have heard many stories about the relationship between Swedcarrier and TT-Line, but I have unfortunately forgotten a lot. I can remember the Olau stories better, and that has stayed with me more.
As far as I have heard, the relationship got even worse, when Swedcarrier sold the Swedish part of TT-Line to Gotlandsbolaget, who obviously had quite different views, visions and business culture than the German TT-Line, what eventually led to German TT-Line taking over the Swedish part.

munstertillburgundy
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by munstertillburgundy »

JustFerries wrote: 03 Jun 2024 19:51
hhvferry wrote: 03 Jun 2024 19:33 The first Olau Line pair also had differing "dark" and "light" interiors, I can't remember which was which. I think the second two, whilst different in some detail of decor, were kept more similar.

That's right, you can still see that today when you sail on the ALMARIYA. It was designed in the style of TT ships at the time, while its successors (Olau 2nd gen) took a different approach.

The “dark” design can still be seen (at least a little) in my video, as can the general architecture of the Olau and TT-Line ships of the 1980s (the halls amidships over several decks, cabins forward and restaurants aft).

thanks,

the first generation Olau-newbuildings for me were amongst the very finest ropax-ferries of all times, probably with the three +/-1990 newbuildings of Brittany Ferries, Townsend Thoresens Spirit Class and the 1969 Innisfallen
Risberg
Bretagne
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by Risberg »

The last days the TT-Line ferries have departed according to schedule.

Until now.

ROBIN HOOD arrived at 15.30 from Klaipéda. When she should have arrived i don't know, but she should have left for Travemünde at 16.15. She leaves now, at 19.00, 2 3/4 hours delayed, having unloaded and loaded for three and half hours. 
Risberg
Bretagne
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by Risberg »

Risberg wrote: 05 Jun 2024 18:03 The last days the TT-Line ferries have departed according to schedule.

Until now.

ROBIN HOOD arrived at 15.30 from Klaipéda. When she should have arrived i don't know, but she should have left for Travemünde at 16.15. She leaves now, at 19.00, 2 3/4 hours delayed, having unloaded and loaded for three and half hours. 
And thereby she delayed the arrival of PETER PAN.

Risberg
Bretagne
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by Risberg »

TOM SAWYER has actually come to Karlshamn. (NILS DACKE is in Klaipéda).
Risberg
Bretagne
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by Risberg »

HUCKLEBERRY FINN right now has docking problems in berth 2 in Trelleborg. There's a hard southwesterly wind, and some 20 metres before the link-span, the ferry stopped and backed. But now she seems to be able to dock slowly, slowly.