TT Line Operations

Scandinavian Ferries serving Northern Europe and the Baltic that do not serve the UK or Ireland
Risberg
Bretagne
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by Risberg »

Impressing! AKKA arrived 11.50, delayed from Świnoujście, and was supposed to sail to Klaipéda at 11.55. She actually leaves now, 12.40, after just 50 minutes!
Author of "Fra LILLEBELT to SKÅNE" about train ferries and other railway owned ships in Scandinavia and the Baltic, in Scandinavian with English summaries. Free pdf-version by contacting me on "Private messages"
Risberg
Bretagne
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by Risberg »

Risberg wrote: 04 Jan 2024 21:19 Now obviously something is wrong with TINKER BELL. She should have left for Świnoujście at 10 a.m. Tuesday, but never did. Then she should have left at 2 a.m. yesterday night. She didn't either. Instead ROBIN HOOD sailed to Świnoujście this forenoon, what now delays her departure to Rostock by 5 hours, from 11.55 p.m. to 4.55 a.m. tonight. TINKER BELL's next scheduled departure was half an hour ago, at 9.45 p.m. AKKA just made that departure to Świnoujście. Now TINKER BELL is supposed to go to Świnoujście at 3.30 p.m. tomorrow.
There TINKER BELL finally departs, nearly 1 1/2 hour late, for Rostock.

Author of "Fra LILLEBELT to SKÅNE" about train ferries and other railway owned ships in Scandinavia and the Baltic, in Scandinavian with English summaries. Free pdf-version by contacting me on "Private messages"
Shipping-Forecast
Engine Room
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by Shipping-Forecast »

drydock
MN Pelican
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by drydock »

At the moment it seems like Tom Sawyer is on her way to Ibiza, Spain. Going on charter again?

Also, Nils Holgersson has been sitting in Travemünde for 10 days now, something broken? 
hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by hhvferry »

drydock wrote: 27 Jan 2024 09:57 At the moment it seems like Tom Sawyer is on her way to Ibiza, Spain. Going on charter again?

Also, Nils Holgersson has been sitting in Travemünde for 10 days now, something broken? 
Not sure about the Nils Holgersson but the Tom Sawyer thing may be an AIS glitch. I can see Ibiza as the destination but looking at her track it seems to be normal TT service and she's sailing to Trelleborg.

Tom Sawyer 27/01/24 destination Ibiza???
Tom Sawyer 27/01/24 destination Ibiza???

Tom Sawyer 27/01/24 actual track
Tom Sawyer 27/01/24 actual track
szcz49
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by szcz49 »

URD is currently in Świnoujście. This is his first ever visit to this Polish port
BalticFerry
MN Pelican
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by BalticFerry »

On the night of January 17th to January 18th there was a fire in the engine room of the Nils Holgersson. The ferry was towed to Travemünde with two tugs. She was on her way to Trelleborg.
munstertillburgundy
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by munstertillburgundy »

BalticFerry wrote: 02 Feb 2024 05:33 On the night of January 17th to January 18th there was a fire in the engine room of the Nils Holgersson. The ferry was towed to Travemünde with two tugs. She was on her way to Trelleborg.

Isn't she a bit young for that?
ropax
Bretagne
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by ropax »

Sadly TT is very much down-runned in the last ca. 20 years. So all negative news are not a surprise for me.
It was really a "OK" (not perfect - but OK) managed ferry-company in the 90ies - but not anymore today sadly.
There are 1000s negative reports in tripadvisor and in Forums etc. since many years - but nothing will be better.

So, yes - it is a very new ferry - but maybe it was a mistake from a crew-member or too less maintenance, too much money saved etc. .
Maybe also a guarantee-case... .
Seems so, that it takes longer now with a repair.
If i remember right they have chartered the URD again for 2 month minimum.

drydock
MN Pelican
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by drydock »

Seems like Nils Holgersson is still sitting still in Travemünde. Anyone heard how the investigation and repair is going?
munstertillburgundy
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

I believe to have read in the past days, that a repetition of the same mishap could only narrowly be prevented on Peter Pan. But can't find it again.
ropax
Bretagne
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by ropax »

Have checked all TT timetables in september.
As usyually the ships are often rotating on different routes - but 2 ships are not anymore in the fleet then:
The Tom Sawyer and the Marko Polo.

So maybe we can say that finally they have replaced these both old ferries with the both new-buildings Nils Holgersson and Peter Pan.
But maybe they hold further one or both of these old ferries on stand-by.

The Nils Holgersson is so new that i am 100% sure that she will be repaired now in spring and is ready again before the summer main-season.
szcz49
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by szcz49 »

Marco Polo appeared in the TT-Line timetable from June 1 on the Klaipėda - Karlshamn route.
drydock
MN Pelican
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by drydock »

Also looks like Nils Holgersson will depart Travemünde for the night crossing to Trelleborg on May 13.
munstertillburgundy
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

BalticFerry wrote: 02 Feb 2024 05:33 On the night of January 17th to January 18th there was a fire in the engine room of the Nils Holgersson. The ferry was towed to Travemünde with two tugs. She was on her way to Trelleborg.

will this only be a learning point or already a turning point?

What we know:
TT built Nils Holgersson and Peter Pan in China. As did the indisputably bigger and probably internationally better organized Stena RoRo, DFDS, Grimaldi (Finnlines), GNV and Moby. Unlike these TT built in Nanjing, a day’s trip from the sea and in the high-wages area around Shanghai. TT-Lines vessels were delayed unlike Stena’s.

Over three months ago there has been a fire on Nils Holgerson. She has been in port (not in a dry dock, not even in a shipyard) ever since and is currently scheduled back in service in another month’s time. In this time the ship could have been towed to Nanjing, repaired and returned.

What is being rumoured:
one engine has been destroyed by the fire, but a second also damaged and needs replacement.
this replacement is taking part in the port, not in a yard and without big action or openings visible from the outside.
a very similar situation occurred on the sister and could only be prevented from escalating due to the experience on Nils Holgersson.

Without drawing conclusions just asking to understand:
purchasing textiles from China I had to pay 20% in advance and the remainder as “cash against delivery” once the container was loaded onto the ship. Does buying ships work the same way or could have TT withheld some amount from Jinling for possible deficiencies?
would the insurance of TT-Line turn to Jinling in China for compensation or to MAN in Germany or Wärtsila in Finland depending on which engine caused this or are we going to see a blame ping-pong?

Ollyhuk
Cotentin
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by Ollyhuk »

munstertillburgundy wrote: 23 Apr 2024 22:00

Without drawing conclusions just asking to understand:
purchasing textiles from China I had to pay 20% in advance and the remainder as “cash against delivery” once the container was loaded onto the ship. Does buying ships work the same way or could have TT withheld some amount from Jinling for possible deficiencies?
would the insurance of TT-Line turn to Jinling in China for compensation or to MAN in Germany or Wärtsila in Finland depending on which engine caused this or are we going to see a blame ping-pong?

Normal practice is that staged payments are made during the build process with full and final payment made upon delivery to the customer.

There will be a guarantee period which is normally 12 months from delivery where any defects will be rectified at the shipyards expense (as long as they are not caused by operational damage or negligence).

A serious incident such as this would invariably be investigated by the Flag State to establish the root cause. I would then expect the vessels H&M (Hull & Machinery) insurers to investigate in parallel.

It would then depend on the clauses in the Insurances policies as to who pays for the repairs - in some cases it is “pay to be paid” ie the Owners pay and then recover the funds from the insurance, however for large expenses such as this then H&M or the manufacturers may pay to get the repairs done quickly due to the costs with being out of service.
Risberg
Bretagne
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by Risberg »

ropax wrote: 12 Mar 2024 12:37 Have checked all TT timetables in september.
As usyually the ships are often rotating on different routes - but 2 ships are not anymore in the fleet then:
The Tom Sawyer and the Marko Polo.

So maybe we can say that finally they have replaced these both old ferries with the both new-buildings Nils Holgersson and Peter Pan.
But maybe they hold further one or both of these old ferries on stand-by.

The Nils Holgersson is so new that i am 100% sure that she will be repaired now in spring and is ready again before the summer main-season.
Why should they bother to repair MARCO POLO (not MARKO POLO - that was the Croatinan ferry that TR-Line chartered in 1992) if they don't intend to use her from September?

Risberg
Bretagne
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by Risberg »

NILS HOLGERSSON is obviously still not in service. So that's why they changed my ferry from Travemünde Tuesday night to TINKER BELL. Well, personally I prefer TINKER BELL to NILS HOLGERSSON.
Risberg
Bretagne
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by Risberg »

Risberg wrote: 09 May 2024 19:26 NILS HOLGERSSON is obviously still not in service. So that's why they changed my ferry from Travemünde Tuesday night to TINKER BELL. Well, personally I prefer TINKER BELL to NILS HOLGERSSON.

According to GST did she circulate in the Bay of Mecklenburg between 5th and yesterday.
Risberg
Bretagne
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by Risberg »

NILS HOLGERSSON back in the timetable from this evening. First dep. from Trelleborg at 9.30 a.m. tomorrow, to Rostock and Travemünde.
hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by hhvferry »

Risberg wrote: 13 May 2024 09:48 NILS HOLGERSSON back in the timetable from this evening. First dep. from Trelleborg at 9.30 a.m. tomorrow, to Rostock and Travemünde.
And she is duly back in service. She didn't need to really exert herself last night and didn't - most of the crossing was done at around 14 to 14.5 knots. Interesting that these lengthy repairs appear to have been done all whilst alongside in Travemunde.
Risberg
Bretagne
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by Risberg »

hhvferry wrote: 14 May 2024 09:43
Risberg wrote: 13 May 2024 09:48 NILS HOLGERSSON back in the timetable from this evening. First dep. from Trelleborg at 9.30 a.m. tomorrow, to Rostock and Travemünde.
And she is duly back in service. She didn't need to really exert herself last night and didn't - most of the crossing was done at around 14 to 14.5 knots. Interesting that these lengthy repairs appear to have been done all whilst alongside in Travemunde.

Her bow and bridge can actually be seen here: viewtopic.php?p=31062#p31062
DanielH
Cotentin
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by DanielH »

However, Peter Pan seems to be moored in Travemünde. The schedule lists her for the next journey on Saturday.
Risberg
Bretagne
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by Risberg »

Again, not a single TT-line ferry leaves Trelleborg on time.
Risberg
Bretagne
Reactions:

TT Line Operations

Post by Risberg »

Rather remarkable TT-Line schedule tomorrow. First ferry departure from Trelleborg: The second newest ferry NILS HOLGERSSON for Świnoujście at 7 a.m.. Next ferry departure from Trelleborg: The newest ferry PETER PAN for Świnoujście just eight hours later, at 3 p.m.. The two following departures: AKKA for Rostock and NILS DACKE(!) for Travemünde, both at 4 p.m.