James Joyce ex-Star, Oscar Wilde (IMO 9364722)

Ferries and ferry companies that serve in the Irish Sea
Seashore
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Oscar Wilde ex-Star (IMO 9364722)

Post by Seashore »

@ropax do you have the source, even better a link, to the figures you state from Stena Line please? It’s handy if you can post these things to back up what you say in the original post. Thanks.
hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Post by hhvferry »

ropax wrote: 02 Jun 2023 14:10 This year the Oscar Wilde will operate much more empty than normally - it was not possible to book the route ca. in jan. /febr. /march - and then up to today only to book departures with an "unknown" ferry - could be theoretic the last poorest freighter also - so no responsible family-father or mother will have booked this "unknown" ferry.
A bit of self-awareness is useful. We are all hyper-online about what is happening with ferries. However most people are not and, especially on a relatively short route like Pembroke Dock to Rosslare, don't really research what ship they are likely to sail on. It's simply not on their radar as something of importance.
ccs147
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Post by ccs147 »

A few of Oscar Wilde arriving in Rosslare last Saturday

Andy-Freeman
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Post by Andy-Freeman »

I'm not mad keen on the curved superstructure at the stern but, other than that, I think she looks fabulous.

Andy
Nautica
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Post by Nautica »

Andy-Freeman wrote: 06 Jun 2023 18:47 I'm not mad keen on the curved superstructure at the stern but, other than that, I think she looks fabulous.

Andy

Agreed 👍 In my opinion, I find the stern to be a bit repetitive, having the visually same angle twice (between decks 3-7 + 8-9). An Ulysses or Tallink Cruise (Baltic Queen, Baltic Princess etc.) inspired curve at the stern could perhaps do the trick.
hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Post by hhvferry »

Yes it wasn't so obvious with the ship's original livery when the stripes continued to the stern. Now she looks a bit odd from some angles.
Danim
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by Danim »

Andy-Freeman wrote: 06 Jun 2023 18:47 I'm not mad keen on the curved superstructure at the stern but, other than that, I think she looks fabulous.

Andy

Another vessel spoilt by the all white hull! I don't mind the shape of the superstructure, in harsh weather it makes sense to protect the aft deck. Although the Cote de Dunes/Flanders also have a similar ish aft deck in far less challenging weather than the Baltic. 
vikingvoyager
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Post by vikingvoyager »

She looks pretty good - better so in IF colours than beofore.

Obviously not a patch on Stena Europe, which really shows her up in that first pic. 
vikingvoyager
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Post by vikingvoyager »

Discussion on Irish Ferries "less haste, more speed" operating tactic moved to Irish Ferries Market:

viewtopic.php?t=1109
deboy
MN Pelican
Reactions:

Post by deboy »

Will OW be put onto a revived Rosslare-Roscoff route? I used this a few times in the past, does anyone know why the route was stopped?
Bazzachazza
MN Pelican
Reactions:

Post by Bazzachazza »

deboy wrote: 05 Jul 2023 18:48 Will OW be put onto a revived Rosslare-Roscoff route? I used this a few times in the past, does anyone know why the route was stopped?

I think Irish ferries said that the port wasn’t deep enough for the WB Yeats. 
baypaul
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by baypaul »

deboy wrote: 05 Jul 2023 18:48 Will OW be put onto a revived Rosslare-Roscoff route? I used this a few times in the past, does anyone know why the route was stopped?

The single deck linkspan was painfully slow for loading the previous Oscar Wilde, it would be horrendous for WB Yates. I can't see that the new Oscar Wilde would have enough cabins for this route, which was pretty tourist focused. 
crechbleiz
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Post by crechbleiz »

Off to Ireland at the end of this week for work. Sailing Pembroke - Rosslare - Pembroke so hoping to have a good crossing on Oscar Wilde. It can't be worse than Isle of Inishmore or Blue Star 1. Both were not particularly well looked after.

I have booked Club Class seats and outside cabins both ways.
hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Post by hhvferry »

Spotted dumped on the quayside at Rosslare.

'Star' external name signage, and bits of car deck ramps, Rosslare 02/07/23
'Star' external name signage, and bits of car deck ramps, Rosslare 02/07/23
Danim
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by Danim »

hhvferry wrote: 11 Jul 2023 23:37 Spotted dumped on the quayside at Rosslare.

You mean 'placed carefully in storage', just in case they do not take up the purchase option and have to return her Tallink! 😆
ropax
Bretagne
Reactions:

Post by ropax »

Found a big ((very positive...)) travel-report about Oscar Wilde with a lot of interior pictures:

Oscar Wilde - Poetry in Motion (a2bviasea.co.uk)

Just fast some positive points:
- positive that the bus for foot-passengers stays onboard = 1 bus for each ferry, no walking over truck-ramps or wait inside until the bus is arriving on the deck, luggage can stay in the bus.
- positive the green "deck-matts" on the sundeck, is much much much better and more safe especially if wet on the sundeck then without it
- positive the partitions / room-dividers in the restaurant, no big hall as f.ex. on Moby Fantasy
- comfortable stairs / stairhouses with carpet, mirrors etc.,  compare it with the new TT-Line ships or new Moby, then you see the difference
- cabins in wood-design and with wood-design floor etc. more cozy than on the most "white or grey cold" newbuildings from the last years
- different comfortable looking seating-possibilities, many also with well upholstered banks
- public spaces are looking big enough also if the ferry is well booked
- biggest shopping on sea in Irish Sea

Negative points:
- the "Full english" is ca. 3-times so expensive as in Tenerife (i know, Ireland is not Tenerife...) and the content, size of it is only ca. 60%...
(In Tenerife mostly (beside the eggs and bacon) with 2 sausages, beans, mushrooms, hot tomato, 2 toast-breads, butter, strawberry jam and 1 drink (orange juice) costs ca. 3,50, / 4,- / 4,50). So they offer onboard for 13 (!) Euro a really small breakfast in a simple canteen-style self-service-restaurant without white blanketts on the table, waiter-service etc., HP sauce also not to see on the tables on the ferry. 
- some staple-chairs in restaurants looking really cheap and uncomfortable, similar as in school
- the small sundeck-size is ok for the often rainy and windy Irish Sea, but with 1000, 1500 or 2000 people onboard in summer from Cherbourg too small... - and without really comfortable garden-furnitures also.
- 2 larger areas (club lounge and drivers club) closed for "normal" people, no chance for "normal" people to look forward.
I generally prefer ferries which has some reserved tables for truck-drivers and without any lounges for extra-costs, these spaces could be much better used f.ex. for other entertainment-things, a-la-carte restaurant or just another bar-lounge with different atmosphere, Sports Bar, TV-lounge, cinema etc. . Why f.ex. there is no original really cozy Irish Pub onboard as it was on the "Joseph and Clara Smallwood" in the 90ies - best pub i ever have seen on any ferry - and also with live-music by a guitarre-player/singer. 

Irish Ferries is speaking on websites, media-infos, travel-agency-infos etc. about their "cruise-ferries" -
Yes, Oscar Wilde could this really be, a really nice ferry - but "cruise" would it be only with some improvements and upgrades in service onboard, entertainment, food etc. . 

baypaul
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by baypaul »

Thanks for sharing @ropax - she looks stunning.  Interesting to see that signage is in French as well as English... perhaps another hint towards future deployment.
jack
Barfleur
Reactions:

Post by jack »

Interestingly, I was talking to one of our Masters in Pembroke who lives in Ireland  and travels on the OW every two weeks, is like (very nice), and he was told that she’s only going to be on the P-R route for another couple of weeks and the crew haven’t been told what or if there is going to be her replacement.
Seashore
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by Seashore »

Steve Marsh has done a number of ferry reviews, his latest one is Oscar Wilde. He was rather disappointed with the available outdoor deck space.

ExpressOlympia
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Post by ExpressOlympia »

The above review is worth watching, to get a view of the ship from the eyes of an "ordinary" traveller - even if the melodramatic headline and fact that the wrong ship is pictured in the title image rather put me off…
Seashore
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by Seashore »

It maybe also worth watching his review from 2021 on Stena Estrid. It’s obvious which he would pick after seeing both. Although Estrid is small passenger capacity and not really any more facilities than Oscar Wilde, it’s that impartial view of the ships, especially commenting on the modernity, light and spaciousness of the E-flexer, plus the amount of accessible deck space. He was similarly glowing about the BF version to Spain.

If that’s what most passengers love then you can see that BF may be onto a winner with Saint-Malo and Guillaume de Normandie, what with a Bretagne review in there too.
Markmeister89
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Post by Markmeister89 »

Seashore wrote: 02 Jun 2024 21:37 Steve Marsh has done a number of ferry reviews, his latest one is Oscar Wilde. He was rather disappointed with the available outdoor deck space.

Bad outdoor decks? 

Sounds like an ex Tallink vessel allright. 😁
alstomcorkdunkerque
Barfleur
Reactions:

Post by alstomcorkdunkerque »

Seashore wrote: 02 Jun 2024 21:37 Steve Marsh has done a number of ferry reviews, his latest one is Oscar Wilde. He was rather disappointed with the available outdoor deck space.

Steve Marsh?
hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Post by hhvferry »

New name now showing on AIS.

James Joyce 10/06/24
James Joyce 10/06/24
hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

James Joyce ex-Star, Oscar Wilde (IMO 9364722)

Post by hhvferry »

Looks like someone at Irish Ferries has been playing around in MS Paint.

Oscar Wilde-James Joyce © Irish Ferries
Oscar Wilde-James Joyce © Irish Ferries

Source: https://www.irishferries.com/uk-en/ships/JamesJoyce/