James Joyce ex-Star, Oscar Wilde (IMO 9364722)

Ferries and ferry companies that serve in the Irish Sea
baypaul
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Oscar Wilde ex-Star (IMO 9364722)

Post by baypaul »

She has an almost dainty look in her new colours, she seems much smaller than she is, somehow having the feel of something like the Vortigern rather than a huge superferry. It was only seeing her alongside a Supetfast on the niferry.co.uk link in the previous post that her true size was clear. A very attractive ship. 
hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Post by hhvferry »

The OW was in Holyhead yesterday evening for berthing trials, trying out both the IF and Stena berths before proceeding to Rosslare.
ccs147
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Post by ccs147 »

Back in Rosslare today
Seashore
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by Seashore »

It would appear the changes are afoot at Rosslare. Blue Star 1 is outbound (if she’s doing the 20:45 she’s very early) as Oscar Wilde heads in (she’s late if doing this evening’s sailing), so something is going on.

Blue Star 1 on left outbound and Oscar Wilde on right heading to Rosslare
Blue Star 1 on left outbound and Oscar Wilde on right heading to Rosslare
Seashore
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by Seashore »

Blue Star 1 is hanging about in the bay, Oscar Wilde has not yet left (at 23:15) on the 20:45 sailing. The departure update on the website from Pembroke looks optimistic.

9168472D-5A45-4C39-8587-F017EA787F6D.png

A048A0E8-A255-4B4E-9342-E1A4EC40E374.png
hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Post by hhvferry »

Well she entered service running very late and hit absurd speeds for a conventional ship in this sector - 27, 28 knots - in her efforts to catch up.
Danim
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by Danim »

hhvferry wrote: 31 May 2023 08:12 Well she entered service running very late and hit absurd speeds for a conventional ship in this sector - 27, 28 knots - in her efforts to catch up.

IF are not afraid to burn the bunkers now and then.... The Blue Star could be tracked doing 24 knots on occasion, as she did yesterday for a spell. W.B. Yeats get a lick on too down to Cherbourg.
ropax
Bretagne
Reactions:

Post by ropax »

Today around 6:00 in the morning the speed was 29,3 knots and just now in this minute again 29 knots !

I am very happy that Irish Ferries are testing more speed on Irish Sea !
If i would have known this, i would have booked a ticket ! 29 knots onboard of this ferry will be a really good feeling !

My speculation:
They are testing how fast this crossing can do theoretic in future.
F.ex. for a combi-use of the ferry - 1 roundtrip South-Channel - 1 roundtrip to France - 1 roundtrip South Channel.
Or they are testing a part of my route-proposal: Irland-Pembroke-France.
Than it makes sense the Irish Sea part to go so fast as possible for to catch again the lost port-time in Pembroke.

Thinkable maybe only on summer-weekends:
Rosslare-Pembroke-Cherbourg-Pembroke-Rosslare (including full duty-free).
Think there a timetable with 28, 29 knots... - maybe only 1 Irish Sea departure lost ?
Much more efficiency than to park this very nice big comfortable ferry every day for so many hours in the ports only.
jack
Barfleur
Reactions:

Post by jack »

Much more efficiency than to park this very nice big comfortable ferry every day for so many hours in the ports only.

Many hours?, she’s in for two hours, sometimes less in each port.
hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Post by hhvferry »

ropax wrote: 31 May 2023 13:33
My speculation:
Nope I think they are just catching up time as she was running very late for her first few sailings. She's still two hours behind schedule so will presumably continue these high speed runs until she's back on track and/or familiarity starts to shrink turn round times.
Danim
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by Danim »

hhvferry wrote: 31 May 2023 16:39
ropax wrote: 31 May 2023 13:33
My speculation:
Nope I think they are just catching up time as she was running very late for her first few sailings. She's still two hours behind schedule so will presumably continue these high speed runs until she's back on track and/or familiarity starts to shrink turn round times.

Exactly. Even someone with very basic navigational skills can work out crossing times with different speeds. They know the distance so there is no need to burn tons of fuel just to experiment.

When I was 17 and part of a 4 man crew, we used to have ETA competitions. No fancy electronics, just traditional navigation, tides and speed/distance/time. Time and time again we were all within 5 minute mark for passages of around 5 - 6 hours. Of course, the skipper was never wrong because he could adjust the boats speed if it looked like he would loose 😆
hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Post by hhvferry »

I haven't gone into AIS to look but they may also be taking more time approaching and getting the ship onto the berths as she and her crew take it carefully for the first few runs. So on top of the other factors the ramp up to ramp down time may be a bit closer to normal than the high speed bits in between might suggest.
SilverDot
Bretagne
Reactions:

Post by SilverDot »

ropax wrote: 31 May 2023 13:33 Think there a timetable with 28, 29 knots... - maybe only 1 Irish Sea departure lost ?
Simple rule of thumb - energy usage increases as the cube (n3) of speed increase, so twice as fast is 7+ times the fuel use. Reducing speed is converse, a 10% drop in speed is approximately a 20% after accounting for longer sailing time etc. See example graph from DNV for a 56k gt vessel below.

Energy Use vs Speed. Graph: DNV.
Energy Use vs Speed. Graph: DNV.

Slower sailing also reduces maintenance costs as less stress on propulsion system, hull.
baypaul
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by baypaul »

hhvferry wrote: 31 May 2023 17:22 I haven't gone into AIS to look but they may also be taking more time approaching and getting the ship onto the berths as she and her crew take it carefully for the first few runs. So on top of the other factors the ramp up to ramp down time may be a bit closer to normal than the high speed bits in between might suggest.

I went into Pembroke for a few weeks on a relief ship years ago, and it is a very awkward berth for a ship that isn't perfectly adapted for it - I would expect a few weeks of very slow arrivals until everything is settled in place.
Chef-Boyardee
Barfleur
Reactions:

Post by Chef-Boyardee »

ropax wrote: 31 May 2023 13:33 Or they are testing a part of my route-proposal: Irland-Pembroke-France.
Than it makes sense the Irish Sea part to go so fast as possible for to catch again the lost port-time in Pembroke.

And how do you propose to handle leaving the EU Single Market customs area entering the UK  customs area  and re entering the EU Single Market all in one voyage without time consuming complications and hope to keep to schedule ?
Seashore
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by Seashore »

OW is still going for it at 27.9 knots tonight, she's not too far off St David's Head now and if she's not in on time at 00:45 then she won't be far behind.

Switching two ships using the same linkspan with a two-hour gap was always going to be very ambitious. Looks like the crews of BS1 and OW had to work hard.
Seashore
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by Seashore »

NI Ferry have just posted about her:

https://www.niferry.co.uk/new-irish-fer ... -rosslare/

Two pieces of information that I found interesting;

“She is currently operating as a stern only single level loader, but is capable of twin level drive through loading at compatible berths”

I wonder if that’s because she’s a stop-gap for the next 5-6 months and Blue Star 1 operated as single deck anyway. Perhaps the cost to modify her and/or the linkspans (mainly Pembroke Dock may not make sense whilst she is there for half a year.

“However, some facilities previously available when the vessel was in service for Tallink as STAR have been closed off. This includes the à la carte restaurant and the large forward ‘Delight buffet’ which overlooks the bow on deck 8. NIFS understands that there are no plans to make these areas available in the near future.”

That is some quite sizeable space, but what do they need a smorgasbord for on a 4 hour transport crossing. Rhetorical question. Wonder how that affects her passenger capacity and whether they’re also using it as a chance to reduce the crew numbers.
12345teacher
Cotentin
Reactions:

Post by 12345teacher »

good upload on youtube....

hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Post by hhvferry »

The Oscar Wilde, now back on timetable, made her morning crossing at around 18.5 knots which will presumably be the sort of pace she will use most of the time.
ExpressOlympia
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Post by ExpressOlympia »

From on-board images I have seen, it looks like she was refurbished in her later days with Tallink, toning down some of the previous bolder colour schemes particularly in the midships cafeteria.
Seashore
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by Seashore »

12345teacher wrote: 01 Jun 2023 13:22 good upload on youtube....

What a waste of a great ferry… may half term school holidays and she’s empty on board. Perhaps everyone is in the empty duty free 😂 or the shuttered but of duty free, as where else would those 2,080 passengers be 🤣.

Although de-branded, the Burger King looks very Burger Kingy… very nice looking ship.

I’d definitely pick her over Ulysses, that’ll give Estrid and more specifically Adventurer (comparing vast open seating areas) a run for money. With just over half the lane metres of Ulysses she’d be second ship though.
hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Post by hhvferry »

I haven't and don't intend to watch the video. But presumably it shows a ship operating on a route where the average passenger load is somewhere in the low 100s and only has this ship as a stop gap? That was so hard to foresee!
Seashore
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by Seashore »

It shows exactly that. I think (almost) everyone expected that to be precisely the case.
ropax
Bretagne
Reactions:

Post by ropax »

This year the Oscar Wilde will operate much more empty than normally - it was not possible to book the route ca. in jan. /febr. /march - and then up to today only to book departures with an "unknown" ferry - could be theoretic the last poorest freighter also - so no responsible family-father or mother will have booked this "unknown" ferry. And therefore also Stena Europe / Nordica is very well booked with many nearly full or full-booked departures in summer - check the Stena report next year for 2023, they will have much more bookings on the Fishguard-route this summer than normally.

So we must wait until next year what is the long-term plan for the Pembroke-route and Oscar Wilde.
Thinkable solutions:
A) They buy / charter another little bit smaller ferry for Pembroke (f.ex. Visborg) and Oscar Wilde replaces Epsilon.
B) They buy P&O Kent and Canterbury for Dover and Inishmore returns to the Pembroke-route and Oscar Wilde replaces Epsilon.
C) They buy / charter another little bigger ferry (f.ex. an Australian Superfast or Atlantic Vision) for to replace Epsilon and Oscar Wilde stays in long-term on the Pembroke-route. Just for remember, Epsilon has 120 cabins, Oscar Wilde 134 and the Australians 222. 

And also complete other things are theoretic possible, f.ex. an extension about 40 - 50 m for to get a similar ferry as FSG 777 - or start of a complete new route.​​​​​
Seashore
Pont-Aven
Reactions:

Post by Seashore »

ropax wrote: 02 Jun 2023 14:10 This year the Oscar Wilde will operate much more empty than normally - it was not possible to book the route ca. in jan. /febr. /march - and then up to today only to book departures with an "unknown" ferry - could be theoretic the last poorest freighter also - so no responsible family-father or mother will have booked this "unknown" ferry. And therefore also Stena Europe / Nordica is very well booked with many nearly full or full-booked departures in summer - check the Stena report next year for 2023, they will have much more bookings on the Fishguard-route this summer than normally.

So we must wait until next year what is the long-term plan for the Pembroke-route and Oscar Wilde.
Thinkable solutions:
A) They buy / charter another little bit smaller ferry for Pembroke (f.ex. Visborg) and Oscar Wilde replaces Epsilon.
B) They buy P&O Kent and Canterbury for Dover and Inishmore returns to the Pembroke-route and Oscar Wilde replaces Epsilon.
C) They buy / charter another little bigger ferry (f.ex. an Australian Superfast or Atlantic Vision) for to replace Epsilon and Oscar Wilde stays in long-term on the Pembroke-route. Just for remember, Epsilon has 120 cabins, Oscar Wilde 134 and the Australians 222. 

And also complete other things are theoretic possible, f.ex. an extension about 40 - 50 m for to get a similar ferry as FSG 777 - or start of a complete new route.​​​​​

1) likely

2) unlikely P&O will sell ships to IF which directly or indirectly will compete with their own service, they refused to sell Pride of Burgundy when it transpired what IF wanted it for. If IF were to get a new ship, don’t discount it going to Dover and either Innisfree or Innisheer going to Pembroke. Isle of Inishmore back to Pembroke? Very slim chance.

3) pure fantasy, it’s obvious where OW is going, the publicity video and big arrival… Dublin.

And on the final point, so many people have gone over before about why stretching is a bad idea, and the chance of a route from Rosslare to Cherbourg, whether or not via Pembroke, is not happening. IF committed to Dublin and why come to Rosslare with an inferior offering to Galicia/Salamanca and Stena Vision.