James Joyce ex-Star, Oscar Wilde (IMO 9364722)

Ferries and ferry companies that serve in the Irish Sea
hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

James Joyce ex-Star, Oscar Wilde (IMO 9364722)

Post by hhvferry »

Let's open a topic to keep an eye on this ship, whose future is one of the most closely-watched in Europe.

She is a really excellent vessel and is designed with a quite high service speed of 27.5 knots for Tallink's Tallinn-Helsinki Shuttle service, on which she'll be replaced shortly by the new MyStar. Where she will go next is an interesting topic for speculation.

The Star is essentially a half sister of the former Seafrance Rodin and Seafrance Berlioz, being built on the same hull form as those two (now DFDS's Cote des Dunes and Flandres). Although very much a day ship in most respects, with twin freight decks, she also has a significant amount of cabin accommodation - some 520 cabin berths which, as well as driver use, are available in her current guise to book as part of an overnight package on her final sailing of the day where you can stay on board after arrival until the morning. The later Megastar and the MyStar do not have such a large number of cabins but this might add somewhat to the Star's value on the second hand market.

Here she is as depicted recently by Christos Chatzaras.

hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Star (IMO 9364722)

Post by hhvferry »

Here's a profile deckplan of her in her current guise. They have stuck a Burger King in and converted the Sunset Bar to a premium lounge since she was first built, neither of which are improvements.

Star plan 2022
Star plan 2022
hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Star (IMO 9364722)

Post by hhvferry »

New video of the Star.

ropax
Bretagne
Reactions:

Star (IMO 9364722)

Post by ropax »

Yes, this ferry would be a really very good "new" ferry for a number of ferry-companies. She is not too big, not too small, fast, not too old (from 2007) and as said, she has with 520 beds a good Ropax-capacity. I am sure also that Tallink will sell her in winter and will not use her as 2nd ship on the Turku route, therefore can be used the next returning actually chartered cruise-ferry.

With "only" 186m x 27,70m she is also perfect for smaller ports - but there is also the possibility for an extension up to ca. 220m, 230m or 240m of the "today-Ropax" if wished to get more than 2000lm truck-capacity and use in bigger ports.

So normally a lot of ferry-companies must be interested to buy her... .
adam06
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Star (IMO 9364722)

Post by adam06 »

hhvferry wrote: 04 Aug 2022 23:03 Let's open a topic to keep an eye on this ship, whose future is one of the most closely-watched in Europe.

She is a really excellent vessel and is designed with a quite high service speed of 27.5 knots for Tallink's Tallinn-Helsinki Shuttle service, on which she'll be replaced shortly by the new MyStar. Where she will go next is an interesting topic for speculation.

The Star is essentially a half sister of the former Seafrance Rodin and Seafrance Berlioz, being built on the same hull form as those two (now DFDS's Cote des Dunes and Flandres). Although very much a day ship in most respects, with twin freight decks, she also has a significant amount of cabin accommodation - some 520 cabin berths which, as well as driver use, are available in her current guise to book as part of an overnight package on her final sailing of the day where you can stay on board after arrival until the morning. The later Megastar and the MyStar do not have such a large number of cabins but this might add somewhat to the Star's value on the second hand market.

Here she is as depicted recently by Christos Chatzaras.

My main concern with her is the very high engine power output of 48,000kW (according to wikipedia, take it how you will) needed to reach her service speed, because that means the ship will be very thirsty. In today's fuel market with very high fuel prices, at least in my opinion, the writing's on the wall for this kind of ship. Though I may be overly pessimistic.

As for where she might end up, North Sea for DFDS - specifically IJmuiden-North Shields/Newcastle might be an option since the King and Princess Seaways are quite long in the tooth, though her interior will definitely need doing up. The Med is also another possibility but not quite certain who'd be looking for extra tonnage. Irish Ferries, for me, might be the best pick with the Blue Star 1 having to return at some point back to her lessors, and her high pax and lane metres might make her a viable replacement for the Inishmore. Anyways that's just my two cents on the matter, make what you will.
Maybe I shouldn't be wasting my time on this...
hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Star (IMO 9364722)

Post by hhvferry »

adam06 wrote: 05 Aug 2022 21:50 My main concern with her is the very high engine power output of 48,000kW (according to wikipedia, take it how you will) needed to reach her service speed, because that means the ship will be very thirsty. In today's fuel market with very high fuel prices, at least in my opinion, the writing's on the wall for this kind of ship. Though I may be overly pessimistic.

As for where she might end up, North Sea for DFDS - specifically IJmuiden-North Shields/Newcastle might be an option since the King and Princess Seaways are quite long in the tooth, though her interior will definitely need doing up. The Med is also another possibility but not quite certain who'd be looking for extra tonnage. Irish Ferries, for me, might be the best pick with the Blue Star 1 having to return at some point back to her lessors, and her high pax and lane metres might make her a viable replacement for the Inishmore. Anyways that's just my two cents on the matter, make what you will.
You're right, it would be interesting to know the operating economics of the Star at lower speeds, I can't imagine many operators, certainly around the UK, who would be interested in running her at her Tallink service speed.

Corsica Ferries were strongly linked with the Star and I think she'd have been a very good fit. But now they have acquired Amorella I think that might be it as they don't often make two acquisitions in the same winter.

I think the Blue Star 1 can be with Irish Ferries for as long as they want her - and no doubt would be an easy ship to acquire if IF wanted. They do also need to replace the Epsilon though and, with Corsica Ferries out of the picture, could be well placed here.
ropax
Bretagne
Reactions:

Star (IMO 9364722)

Post by ropax »

In northern Europe theoretic the same "candidates" for Star as for Honfleur... .
Irish Ferries needs normally urgent 2 ferries, 1 for Epsilon and 1 for Blue Star 1 and there is still no new ferry ordered for the canceled FSG 777... . Also possible: Star goes to Dover-Calais, Inishmore then back to Wales and Blue Star 1 replace Epsilon - only 4 month time now for to find a new ferry for the sold ferry Epsilon. 
DFDS needs a replacement for the chartered Visborg, little bigger lm-capacity, 520 beds is the typical size for DFDS Ropax as DFDS has just started with pax also on this route, fast speed (Visborg f.ex. in the last hours again up to 25,5 knots, needed for the route to Ireland Rosslare-Dunquerke) = nearly perfect.
But both ships on the Newcastle route should be in use 45 (!) years (DFDS annual report)- so Star will not come now to this route, has also too less cabins for Newcastle.
I think that both companies, Irish and DFDS are not planning to pay the charter for Blue Star and Visborg for many years. So if there is a good used ferry for a good price available they will try to buy it and the chartered ferry goes back. 
Maybe also Polferries is interested, the Wawel is now 42 years old... , Star is with only 186m perfect for the small port of Nynäshamn.
For TT-Line 2000 lm is too less and 2000 pax is too much, so i don`t believe in TT... .
And again Baja Ferries could be the "surprise-buyer"... .

All ferries between Tallin and Helsinki can go ca. 27 knots, also the ferries from Viking Line and Eckerö Line on this route. The question is, how economical is a speed of ca. 18, 19, 20, 21 knots with these ferries... .

But maybe the Star will go "direction south" also, Corsica Ferries, GNV and Grimaldi, maybe also Corsica Linea seems to buy nearly all used ferries in the last years... - also the other former Tallink-Shuttle ferry "Superstar" is in use actually for Corsica Ferries as "Pascal Lota".

Another point also: The newbuilding MYSTAR is really delayed now - until today no sea trials f.ex. . So the Star will not be available not before winter, maybe also not before jan./febr./march = too late f.ex. for an Epsilon-replacement... .

hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Star (IMO 9364722)

Post by hhvferry »

Isn't Epsilon's charter subject to various extension clauses in IF's favour - i.e. they can afford to wait a little if a replacement isn't available on time?
ropax
Bretagne
Reactions:

Star (IMO 9364722)

Post by ropax »

Good question - i think this extension-options was before Epsilon was sold to Euroafrica-Group. Now they need Epsilon for Unity Line and i think that the ferry will go into yard for Unity-branding / painting etc. in january ? But - nobody knows, maybe IF will charter Epsilon f.ex. one year more... (?).
ropax
Bretagne
Reactions:

Star (IMO 9364722)

Post by ropax »

Tallink`s new business model seems to be chartering of ferries... - the Star is officially for charter - but not for sale (?)... .

https://grs.group/grs-ferry-cruise/char ... %231065883
MareNostrumCorsica
Barfleur
Reactions:

Star (IMO 9364722)

Post by MareNostrumCorsica »

Hello. Till when is she supposed to be ready for charter ? In other terms, when will eventually MyStar enter into service ? 
ropax
Bretagne
Reactions:

Star (IMO 9364722)

Post by ropax »

Star is out of timetable Helsinki-Tallinn 31.oct. (will be replaced by MYSTAR).

So from nov. this year she is free available for charter.
itreachesout113
Cotentin
Reactions:

Star (IMO 9364722)

Post by itreachesout113 »

So it looks like the Star will be staying on the Helsinki - Tallinn route as a third ship, with 4 additional daily departures on the route. Link to article
hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Star (IMO 9364722)

Post by hhvferry »

itreachesout113 wrote: 03 Nov 2022 13:10 So it looks like the Star will be staying on the Helsinki - Tallinn route as a third ship, with 4 additional daily departures on the route. Link to article
I might be going too conspiratorial but I actually wonder if this is part of a negotiating tactic with a potential buyer. "Look we don't have to sell this ship to you. We can just carry on operating it in this trade".

Given they have already dropped a ship on the parallel freight route Vuosaari-Muuga, factoring this in there hasn't been a reduction in Tallink sailings on this corridor (obviously MyStar is a large capacity upgrade, the Star is very different beast to the Regal Star and sailing from the old ports is different to Muuga and Vuosaari but the point stands).

This is one to keep an eye on.

Frankly given we know that Tallink have been struggling it's hard to believe they will keep a valuable unit like the Star operating in a secondary role like this when it's obvious they would like to - and intended to - cash in on her.
itreachesout113
Cotentin
Reactions:

Star (IMO 9364722)

Post by itreachesout113 »

Rather strange news indeed, but then again, this seems to be par for the course with Tallink as of late. The Star’s tickets will be priced lower with a lower level of service than her running mates; I guess this is is to better compete with Eckerö and Viking Line on price, but you’d think that just lowering the ticket prices on the Megastar/MyStar alone would make more economic sense than running an extra ship with all the additional operating costs that entails, especially these days. The first proper Christmas season in three years is also about to begin, so that probably factors in as well.
ropax
Bretagne
Reactions:

Star (IMO 9364722)

Post by ropax »

Puhhh - i had awaited everything - but not this !

So Tallink grows the capacity on Tallin-Helsinki really much starting now in winter ???
Up to 22.june ??? Then Silja Europa is again as 3rd ship operating Helsinki-Tallin up to nov. 23 and Star is away 22.june ?
And with inefficiency timetable, f.ex. turnaround-time in Helsinki is 2,5 hours !
Pax-capacity grows from 4880 to 7680 !
Lane-meters grows from 5600 to 8800 ! 

Including a big price cut down for all tickets now = much less win per ticket on all 3 Shuttle-ferries !
The crew don`t change from Star to Mystar - instead they need much more crew-members ((= much more costs !)) ?
The fact-sheet of the new Mystar says 300 (YES - THREE-HUNDRED !) crew-members on board ! I guess that Viking and Eckerö has less than the half of this !
So there are 2 possibilities - the Tallink-CEOs are on the complete wrong way - or i have no idea... .

Yes - this big short route is one of the 4 biggest moneymaker-routes, similar as Puttgarden-Rödby or Calais-Dover or Gibraltar.
But are the 2 big Tallink-ferries really so full now daily that they need now a 3rd bigger ferry ???
And if this would be really so full - then is the question why Viking and Eckerö not buy any cheap used ferry for to operate with 2 ferries for to get a much bigger part of the customer-cake ???
Or to make at least one additional day-roundtrip with the Stockholm-Helsinki-ferry Helsinki-Tallin-Helsinki ?

Viking and Eckerö offers tickets also in future for less than 20,- and cheaper than all Tallink-departures, so i doubt that this strategy can work... .
And who pays additional 30,- or 70,- for to use max. 2 hours a business- / first- lounge ? Also business-travelers from companies must save money where-ever it is possible today... . So who pays 20,- or 30,- (or more) for the ticket (one-way) if Viking and Eckerö takes only 16,- or 18,- - and pay then 30,- or 70,- additional more for to have a seat in better lounge ???
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other Tallink-Silja-routes 2023:
- Stockholm/Kapellskär-Turku stays with only 1 ferry (Baltic Princess) all the year 2023 !
- Stockholm-Tallin stays with only 1 ferry (Baltic Queen) all the year 2023 !
- Stockholm-Helsinki continues normal daily with Symphony and Serenade.
- The former route to Riga is complete deleted.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If they have no buyer now for Star - why they don`t use her as 2nd ship Stockholm-Turku ?
Yes, the Viking Glory is much better, but with cheap prices enough people would book it and also much more trucks and cars are possible. 
Between Sweden and Finland is now too less capacity, f.x. Gabriella is already now full-booked many weekends in 2023 ! And most people don`t book so long in advance this route.
But between Finland and Tallin it seems to be overcapacity... . 

hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Star (IMO 9364722)

Post by hhvferry »

Presumably Stockholm - Turku was losing them money. These routes propped up by duty free and mini cruises need to be high volume and are low margin. If your rival has a ship which is so much better that 70% of the market flocks to them it's going to just bleed money. Putting Star there would probably just make it worse.

Now I happen to think the Star is one of the finest short/medium distance car ferries of the early 20th century. However I'd be hard pressed to sell her virtues over the Viking Glory or even Viking Grace.
SilverDot
Bretagne
Reactions:

Star (IMO 9364722)

Post by SilverDot »

Star being overhauled at Remontowa Shipyard, Gdansk - Spring 2022.

Markmeister89
Mont St Michel
Reactions:

Irish Ferries to charter Tallink's m/s Star

Post by Markmeister89 »

Irish Continental Group have made a deal with Tallink to bareboat charter the Ro-pax ferry m/s Star with the option to purchase her down the line. 

https://view.news.eu.nasdaq.com/view?id ... src=listed
FB_IMG_1680783046060.jpg
hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Star (IMO 9364722)

Post by hhvferry »

Finally!

This had been rumoured for so long it was starting to look like it would never happen. But on the other hand where were IF going to get a ship that was suitable for their needs from otherwise?

She's a really high quality ship, one of the best day ferries in Europe with a not insubstantial cabin capacity. A really great addition to the fleet, albeit I suspect an expensive one.
vikingvoyager
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Star (IMO 9364722)

Post by vikingvoyager »

Do we think she'll slot directly into the Pembroke route? The press release mentions France
hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Star (IMO 9364722)

Post by hhvferry »

vikingvoyager wrote: 06 Apr 2023 14:21 Do we think she'll slot directly into the Pembroke route? The press release mentions France
Deliberately vague at IF's request?

It will be interesting to see what they do. The Star could be made to work on any of the company's routes - although one would think she hasn't enough cabins for the French crossings she does actually have more than the Epsilon. But they are rather different beasts.

The cabins would be wasted at Dover but, assuming they could make the necessary berth fit and ramp adjustments, she would be ok for the route. Likewise Holyhead. She'd be an expensive bit of kit for the Pembroke route. Besides the Inishmore perhaps the best fit overall there, considering suitability of ship vs accounting cost of vessel vs likely profit of route would be the current Isle of Innisfree ex-Prins Filip? If she'd kept a few more of her cabins anyway.

So it will be interesting to see if this is the start of a full fleet reshuffle or just a one in/one out move.
hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Star (IMO 9364722)

Post by hhvferry »

Here's the Star's deck plan as built.

I'm a big fan of the forward Sunset Bar although latterly this was turned into a pay-extra premium lounge.

She has at least one too many eating options for any IF route so perhaps they will seek to convert one or more to a general seating lounge. Big chance some areas just get closed off however. For anything other than Dover they'd probably want some reclining seats; if the old Sunset Bar is to be the Club Lounge then they could stick them into the Business Lounge. They could perhaps also do with a separate freight drivers area though.

The other main change from her original fit out has been the addition of a Burger King into the Quick & Easy area on Deck 9.

Outside deck space is rather limited in Tallink service with not many options to get a decent side view if the small side promenades are not open... There is a large open deck up top but this is also usually closed off.

Tallink Star deck plan (as built)
Tallink Star deck plan (as built)
hhvferry
On The Bridge
Reactions:

Star (IMO 9364722)

Post by hhvferry »

IF press release. Confirms name will be Oscar Wilde and initial route Rosslare - Pembroke.

"Initially" clearly indicates they have other plans for her after this summer.

Irish Ferries introduces new Cruise Ferry

230406-news-ow.jpg

06 APR 2023
Irish Ferries is pleased to announce the addition of a new cruise ferry to its fleet. The ship, originally called the STAR, was built in 2007 in Finland for Tallink Grupp.

The ship will be renamed as the OSCAR WILDE.

The OSCAR WILDE will be the largest and fastest passenger cruise ferry on the Irish Sea with an impressive capacity of over 2,080 passengers, 134 cabins, and ample space with over 2,380 lane meters for cars, coaches, and freight vehicles.

With the largest duty-free shopping space for any cruise ferry on the Irish Sea of more than 17,000 square feet, it will be an ideal shopping destination for those travelling between Ireland and Britain.

The ship interiors have a classic, modern feel and boasts Freight Drivers facilities, Club Class lounge, a self-service restaurant, an à la carte restaurant, a bar, gaming facilities, pet facilities and family-friendly features such as a children's play area.

One of the most exciting features of the OSCAR WILDE is its available speed. With a possible top speed of 27.5 knots, it is the fastest cruise ferry with the largest passenger capacity on the Irish Sea. This will enable Irish Ferries to offer tourism passengers and freight an efficient service, getting them to their destination reliably and comfortably.

Commenting on the new addition, Irish Ferries Managing Director, Andrew Sheen, said, "We are delighted to announce the addition of the OSCAR WILDE to our fleet. This new ship will be a fantastic addition to our service, offering customers the very best in terms of comfort, speed, and amenities. Along with usual advantages of ferry travel in terms of no luggage restrictions or security queues, we are confident that the OSCAR WILDE will become a firm favourite with our passengers and freight drivers, and we look forward to welcoming them on board."

The OSCAR WILDE will initially enter service on the Rosslare / Pembroke route in early June, replacing the chartered BLUE STAR 1 for the busy summer period. Irish Ferries is now taking bookings on www.irishferries.com for the new ship with fares starting from just €246 or £206 for a return journey with a car plus 1 adult. With its impressive size, speed, and range of facilities, it is set to become the ultimate choice for those travelling between Ireland and the UK on the southern corridor between Wales and Ireland.

A selection of images of the new ship can be found here

6th April 2023

ENDS
Chef-Boyardee
Barfleur
Reactions:

Star (IMO 9364722)

Post by Chef-Boyardee »

Maybe IF are interested in a Spanish route...after all it's the only destination that they don't have a presence in.